sports golf

Hoosier surge falls short

The third-round surge proved to be too little, too late as the IU men’s golf team finished in sixth, 23 strokes behind Baylor, in the Warrior-Wave Intercollegiate at Makai Golf Club in Princeville, Hawaii.

“We knew we had to get off to a fast start, and we didn’t do it,” IU Coach Mike Mayer said.

Despite the slow start of shooting 295 and 294 as a team in the first two rounds, they were able to shoot an 869 after posting a final round 8-under-par 280. The event total was their second lowest three round total of the season behind the 858 at Wolf Run.

Senior Michael McGee led the way for the Hoosiers, finishing in 10th in the individual standings. He shot team lows during round one and three, 71 and 67 respectively. The third round 67 tied his lowest career round, and his 213 total was his lowest of the season.

“We talked the whole tournament that we needed somebody to step up and shoot us a number, and he did that today,” Mayer said. “The 67 was a great round, and it solidified his position in the top five and was a big boost for the team.”

McGee carded one eagle and 14 birdies during the three rounds along with seven bogeys and three double bogeys.

Fellow senior Corey Ziedonis had the largest round-to-round improvement when he carded a final round 3-under-par 69 after shooting a 5-over 77. The round two score was the highest round total of any Hoosier for the tournament.

Junior David Mills opened the season as the team’s No. 1 player but has struggle to play consistently.

“He is a big part of what we need to do in the spring,” Mayer said. “We need to regroup with him. We need to make a couple swing changes, and I think he will be fine.”

Mills fired a second round 1-under-par 7. The under par round was bookended with a 3-over and 4-over first and third round to end his tournament in a tie for 35th at 6-over-par with 222.

Junior Hugo Menendez bounced back with an even par 72 in the last round after scoring a first round 76 and second round 74.

Senior Brant Peaper, like Menendez improved each round on his way to a 221 (75-74-72) and a tie for 29th place.

After Wednesday, the team is finished with the fall portion of its schedule for the 2012-13 season. The Hoosiers will pick things back up Feb. 8, 2013, with the Big Ten Match Play Championships.