national

Giving in to the dream

The country saw a ghost at approximately 1 a.m. Wednesday morning. That man was President Barack Obama, circa 2008.

For the first time since his 2008 election, he spoke of strength, hope and
patriotism.

Unfortunately, idealism doesn’t win elections. But now, in the time when he no longer has to worry about his popularity, he can get down to business. And business means bringing this country back together.

In his victory speech, Obama said, “The task of perfecting our union moves on, and it moves on because of you ... We are an American family, and we rise and fall together as one people.”

Now, it is our time as Americans to hold up our end of the bargain.

In a political season so divisive, with opponents drawing vicious attacks and arguing about issues that reach the very core of an individual’s identity, it is time to stop being Democrats, stop being Republicans and, most importantly, stop being angry.

It is time to be what we should have always been: Americans.

All too often after a presidential election people talk about moving out of the country if their candidate doesn’t win.

Fine. Move. If you don’t want to live in a country that predicates a sense of pride, respect and patriotism, you can go somewhere else, and your ignorance will not be missed. In fact, there are billions of people on this earth who would give their lives to have what Americans take for granted, so if you aren’t willing to cherish your right to be an American, give it up.

Obama has the chance to make the changes he promised in 2008 but was too handcuffed to achieve.

He has the chance to continue to reach across party lines, ask the hard questions and repair possibly frayed foreign relations.

No matter who you voted for or your political stance, we all have a stake in the future of this nation. It doesn’t matter how you voted. Obama is your president.

Instead of maintaining disdain or anger toward him, it is time to move on and support the leader of our nation.

Maybe I am being an idealist in my support of our country moving forward, but that is exactly the point. America was founded upon ideals of the way government should function. President Abraham Lincoln was an idealist when he said government should be “of the people, by the people, for the people.” President John F. Kennedy was an idealist when he said, “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.”

Each and every American has the opportunity to believe in these ideals.

President Obama is the man holding the reins to that future.

­— azoot@indiana.edu