Personal trainer speaks about physical, mental wellness at Venue

Personal trainer Greg Jacobs discussed the keys to finding wellness in a health-challenged society at “The Art of Wellness” on Tuesday at The Venue Fine Art & Gifts.

Also a certified exercise, conditioning and strength instructor, Jacobs offered advice about how to live a healthier lifestyle that promotes overall wellness.

He suggested several venues for exercise such as the YMCA, as well as some form of cardio on the B-Line Trail, where Jacobs said “recreation is placed front and center.”

“In order to succeed, you should find a personally compelling reason to make that change — for example, dedicating your training and exercise to someone you love,” Jacobs said. “Invite someone else to exercise with you, because now you have put yourself in the drivers seat of your own change and made yourself responsible for someone else.”

Many of the guests engaged with Jacobs, asking questions relating to how they should “force” themselves to exercise, even if they do not particularly enjoy doing so.

“Find what you enjoy doing,” Jacobs said. “If you hate running, why are you running? If you enjoy playing tennis, for example, find someone to play tennis with. Don’t do something you absolutely dread doing.”

Venue curator Gabe Colman, who organized the event, said he was curious about Jacobs’ recommendations before the event.

“How do we counteract a society that is promoting ease and anti-productivity?” Colman said. “I was keen to find out how Greg would present his vision of overall wellness. I think it’s best that he presented the information in a more subtle way to inspire community interaction.” 

Alma Taubensee, a retired IU research assistant from Germany, said the event reaffirmed her already active lifestyle.

“I eat right. I exercise, which a lot of people in America do not do,” Taubensee said. “That isn’t so much that way in Europe. You don’t see morbidly obese people.”

She said as well as a difference in lifestyle by country, she sees a difference in lifestyle by age.

“Younger people are also consumed by television and texting,” Taubensee said. “We went outside and remained active when I was younger. I think it should be a part of everyone’s daily lifestyle.”

Jacobs encouraged guests to make long-term goals that would benefit their overall physical, as well as mental, emotional, spiritual and physiological wellness.

He told attendees that if they commit, the universe will conspire to work with them.
He also said success comes from small steps and overcoming obstacles one at a time.

“Brag, because this will lead to personal escalation,” Jacobs said. “Ignore all imagined obstacles such as not having the right clothing, or lack of support from family. Find a supportive environment, tell your story and don’t expect to take on the world all at once.”