Local animal owners run for shelter funds

Run for the Animals

Bloomington resident Mitzi Toner and her sister, Danielle Toner, began the walk at the back of the crowd, their six dogs’ leashes tangling as they made their way down Seventh Street.

Danielle walked with her white mixed-breed Labrador, Kali, who has been deaf since birth.

“Her litter mate died this summer,” Danielle said. “She’s kind of lost because she depended on her to show her the way.”

The two sisters said they heard about the Monroe County Humane Association’s 2012 Run for the Animals through their friend, Suzi Worsham. Worsham came to help walk two of the sisters’ six dogs.

“I saw it on a billboard,” Worsham said. “My niece is also running in it.”

The walk took place Sunday morning at Dunn Meadow. It started with a timed 5K run followed by an untimed walk for all registered participants and their dogs.

The 5K route began on Seventh Street, looped up Union Street and down North Jordan Avenue and wound back by Ballantine Hall, according to the route map.

The Monroe County Humane Association has sponsored the fundraiser for 15 years, CEO Sarah Hays said.

“It raised $32,000 last year,” Hayes said.

This year they hoped to meet that same total, she said.

“For the run, we had more registrants this year,” she said. “I think we had over 300.”

Hayes said event organizers planned to follow the 5K run and walk with a festival in Dunn Meadow complete with dog shows, costume contests and other activities for families and their dogs.

Due to the potential of storms in the forecast, the group decided to cancel the festival portion, which usually brings in $3,500 to $4,000 in funds.

Without the festival funds, Hayes said it would be difficult to reach their goal.

The humane association is an animal welfare nonprofit funded completely through donations. It works closely with the City of Bloomington Animal Shelter, Hayes said.

The association provides several programs related to Bloomington animal rights and welfare, including legislative work, disaster rescue response programs and safety net programs that provide spay and neuter assistance to low-income pet owners.

“Last year alone, we provided $30,000 in spay and neuter assistance to the community,” Hayes said.

After the race, there was an awards ceremony, withtrophies were awarded to the top three runners in male and female categories. There was a youth category for runners younger than 14.

Several other age category winners were announced, each receiving a $20 gift certificate for the Indiana Running Company.

There was a raffle with prizes including gift packages from the Magnificent 7 Road Race Series. The top prize was tickets to an IU basketball game, Hayes said.

Bloomington resident Karl Eagleman was the overall race winner, finishing in 19 minutes and 41 seconds.

“I’m excited about winning but even more excited about supporting the cause,” he said.

His wife, Andrea Eagleman, also ran the race. Andrea said the couple purchased a cat through the animal shelter, a black and white calico  named DC.

She’s run the race the last two years.

“I’m very thankful that we have our cat,” Andrea said. “This is an important race
for me.”