sports field hockey

IU looks for first Big Ten win against Michigan

Field Hockey 8.31.12

The IU field hockey team will be back in action this weekend, defending its home field with two games in Bloomington. This Friday the Hoosiers are hosts to their in-conference rival the No. 15 Michigan Wolverines. Then, on Sunday, IU will face the
Villanova Wildcats.

IU Coach Amy Robertson mentioned that in order for her team to come away with the win, it will come down to building off past success and being confident in its abilities.

“We have to believe in ourselves,” she said. “This team is capable of all sorts of great things. And when they believe it, play to win and compete, we see glimpses of a really
great team.”

Junior defender Hannah Boyer acknowledged that one of Michigan’s greatest strengths is its competitiveness. However, she said she is confident that her team will be victorious.

“Michigan is a fighting team, and it is going to be a very physical game,” she said. “It’s definitely going to be a good matchup, but I know we can come
out on top.”

Robertson noted she doesn’t see getting the first Big Ten win as pressure, but instead it adds to the desire of the team. And while she noted that she was happy the volleyball team and women’s soccer have had recent success in the Big Ten, she said her team’s time is now.

“We are so hungry for that first win, there is nothing to be complacent about or to be satisfied with, because we haven’t hit that milestone yet,” she said. “It’s our time to get a win, and we’re going for it, nothing we are holding back on, there is no need to hold back, no pressure felt.”

Meanwhile, just as IU is searching for their first Big Ten win, Villanova is searching for a breakthrough win. The Wildcats are currently on a four-game losing streak. A game against Louisville Saturday could either add to the current streak or possibly start a
new one.

Although Villanova has been on the losing end as of late, Robertson noted that the Wildcats are the kind of team you have to be prepared for.

“Those are the dangerous teams,” she said. “Their backs are against the wall. They have nothing to lose. It’s no telling what happens in their game against Louisville. They may be coming in with a win and some extra confidence, and if not, those are still teams you always have to watch out for.”

Boyer mentioned that her team is in the midst of conference play, and although Villanova isn’t a Big Ten team, they plan to fight as if they were.

Junior back Danielle McNally said her team has to remain confident in order to win both games this weekend.

“We need to keep our confidence up,” she said. “We have to go in knowing that we can play any team and win.”