sports golf

Hoosiers remain in 15th place at Isleworth

Men's Golf adidas Hoosier Invitational

Round two at the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational ended was much like round one for the IU men’s golf team.

The team failed to make up any ground and remains in last place, 15th, with one round remaining.

As a team, the Hoosiers compiled a score of 310. Combined with round one’s 306, they are 37 strokes behind No. 1 ranked California.

The team’s combined score of 616 is their highest for back-to-back rounds this season.

Individually, senior Brant Peaper showed the most significant improvement from round one, shaving eight strokes off his score and ending Monday with a 5-over-
par 77.

Despite the turnaround, he still sits in 74th place in a 75-player field.

On the other hand, it was junior Hugo Menendez who faulted most from his round one score, firing a 7-over-par 79, five strokes off his first round 74.

He struggled off his first two holes of the round, resulting in two bogeys, which he erased with back-to-back birdies on his fourth and fifth holes.

Trouble, though, would strike him again after he made the turn. A double bogey followed with three bogeys in a row proved to be too much to overcome.

Junior David Mills sits as the lowest scorer for the Hoosiers. His 77 on Monday and his opening round 75 put him at 152 and a tie for 46th place overall.

Seniors Michael McGee (80-77) and Corey Ziedonis (77-80) flip flopped scores from the first round to end day two tied for 68th place with a 157.

­— Jason Haddix