Folklore lecture discusses technology in folk art museums

As part of a colloquium series provided by the Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology, IU independent scholar Karen Duffy presented her work with museum multimedia technology last Friday. 

A large crowd turned out for the second lecture in a series of three sponsored by the department.

The series focuses on the social aspect of folk studies and how to best blur the lines between academics and public audiences.

The final lecture in the colloquium series will be announced later in the semester.

“The main goal is to show how folklorists have a responsibility for a public dissemination of their studies through non-scholarly venues in addition to in-classroom studies,” said Parvina Shukla, director of undergraduate studies in the department and head of the colloquium series.

Duffy’s topic, “Developing a Multimedia Tour for the Museum of International Folk Art,” explored one way folklorists are making their studies relevant to a wider audience. 

She worked with a team of museum experts for two years to develop a technologically interactive museum visitor guide, complete with video and sound recordings, pictures and informational sound guides for the Museum of International Folk Art in Sante Fe, New Mexico.

The museum stores and displays the world’s largest collection of folk art.

“Museums are often afraid of these projects because they’re afraid they’re going to lose control,” Duffy said, answering a question concerning public reaction to the new technology. 

Technology integration can be helpful in a museum of that size and influence, according to the lecture.

Multimedia guides provide a new way of connecting with visitors but could present a threat to the traditional museum experience. 

“The machines threaten the possibility of engaging with the museum as a social experience,” commented one audience member during the question and answer period.

While noting this as a valid concern, Duffy said she is confident in her work with Antenna International, the world-renowned technology company that has provided multimedia museum technology to the Louvre, Taj Majal, Alcatraz and around 1,200 similar sites.

“Our main goals were to bring the exhibit to life and to bring artists into the gallery,” said Duffy, who provided samples of the music and narration used in the guides. 

One exhibit that featured figurines of Mexican folk musicians can now come to life with samples of marimba music and the voices of actual artists. 

While there are reasonable concerns with the new technology, the new multimedia components provide a bridge between art and meaning that the public is comfortable with crossing, she said. 

“The multimedia guide can help us provide a more rich experience for visitors,” Duffy said.