Concert to replace traditional parade for first time since 1958

2009 parade

For the first time in 54 years, the Friday of Homecoming week will not be celebrated with Marching Hundred members performing on Kirkwood Avenue.

“We’re taking a step back this year to re-evaluate what Homecoming looks like,” said Emili Sperling, IU Alumni Association alumni programs officer for recent
graduate and student enrichment.

The IUAA and IU Student Alumni Association decided to take a break from parade planning this year.

Sperling said other schools have extravagant homecoming parades, and IU’s parades in the past few years have been “light” in comparison.

“Because we’re expected to create such a spectacular experience, we wanted to step back and look at how to make the parade the best possible experience,” she said.

In its place, the Oct. 5 festivities will include a free concert in Dunn Meadow. This event was organized by the IUAA and IUSAA in conjunction with Union Board.

“This new approach to Friday night gives returning and Bloomington-based alumni, and their families, the perfect way to be a part of Homecoming as they soak in the campus atmosphere,” J. T. Forbes, executive director and CEO of the IUAA, said in a press release. “We’re looking forward to a great crowd.”

Pop-rock band South Jordan, which has Bloomington roots, “This is Indiana” duo Brice Fox and Daniel Weber and local singer and songwriter Zach Majors will perform at 7 p.m. Oct. 5.

Concert-goers can purchase food and drink from food trucks and local vendors.

IUAA hopes to bring back the homecoming parade in the future with a little revamping, Sperling said.

“We want to create something wonderful and memorable for everyone,” she said.