sports women's soccer

Women's soccer team struggles in trip to California

It was not the weekend the IU women’s soccer team originally expected.

The Hoosiers were vying to return from California with two wins against UC Santa Barbara and No. 5 Pepperdine.

Instead, they flew back to Indiana with a tie and a shutout loss.

Regardless, IU Coach Mick Lyon said the weekend can still be considered a success.

“My goal was for us to at least get some kind of result over the weekend, so getting a tie is a good result,” Lyon said. “I think we are definitely a
better squad for having taken this trip.”

After two scoreless overtimes, Friday night’s game against UC Santa Barbara brought a 0-0 draw for IU, and it was backed by junior goalkeeper Shannon Flower with a career-high nine saves.

The women held their own and played as well as they ever have, if not better, Lyon said.

“We were disappointed that we didn’t get the win,” Lyon said. “But the kids were very excited about how they played and performed.”

The players relished the opportunity to face a different team as well and were ready to bring all of their strength to the field, junior midfielder Becca Zambon said.

“I felt like we came out with a bang and we played with all of our hearts and gave
everything that we’ve got,” she said.

The game against Pepperdine on Sunday was a demonstration of heart and integrity as well, Lyon said, despite a 5-0 loss.

“Pepperdine was coming off its first loss, so they were looking for some revenge, and we were coming off a high from playing so well,” Lyon said. “I think those two just clashed.”

With four goals knocked in during the first half, Lyon said there was a certain absence of concentration as a result.

IU came out strong for the second 45 minutes, allowing only one goal. Shots on goal remained close throughout the game, with Pepperdine outshooting IU 16-13.

In the end, though, both Lyon and Zambon said they were satisfied with the weekend and the squad’s strength was ever-increasing.

“I think with this trip, we grew as a team,” Zambon said. “We know that we’re just as good as any other team out there, and I think we proved that this weekend.”