sports field hockey

Newly-ranked IU looks to upset No. 6 Penn State

Field Hockey

The IU field hockey team is reaping the benefits of its 5-1 start to the season with a No. 24 ranking.

This is the Hoosiers’ first time in the rankings this season.

IU will put their standing to the test as they travel to State College, Pa., to face the Penn State Nittany Lions at 3 p.m. Friday in the Hoosiers’ first Big Ten match this season.

The Nittany Lions are ranked No. 6 in the country and have an 8-2 record this season heading into Friday’s contest. IU Coach Amy Robertson said she is aware Penn State is a great team, and although her players aren’t picked to win, they are excited and looking forward to the challenge.

“I don’t think we have anything to lose,” Robertson said. “On the map, we are underdogs, but in our hearts we expect a good game out of this, and we are playing
to win.”

Robertson also noted the team isn’t playing with a tremendous amount of pressure, and becausethe Nittany Lions have a lot of experience, they may experience more pressure due to extra expectations.

Robertson acknowledged one of the biggest challenges for her team heading into this game is dealing with the speed of Penn State and creating scoring opportunities for themselves.

“We need to manage their speed and make sure we are organized defensively,” she said. “We have to try to put a lot of pressure on them in the right places, to give ourselves good opportunities on the attacking end.”

Robertson mentioned that the balance of her team is a direct contrast from the opponent they are up against.

“Their whole team is good, don’t get me wrong, but they rely on a few individuals to provide a lot of the scoring, although their team is athletic,” Robertson said. “I think we are really balanced overall, and we are different in that respect.”

She also said the teams are similar in terms of playing hard and competing.

She expressed the team’s focus was on the defensive side because of Penn State’s ability to eliminate with the ball.

Robertson said it feels good for the team to be ranked and she always felt they should be, but they want to go higher.

“To be a Big Ten program, we do expect to be in the top 25 or 20 each season,” she said. “But right now, I think we are right where we should be, and we hope to keep improving and keep climbing up the ladder.”