sports men's soccer

IU defeats SIUE on 2nd-half goals

Men's Soccer v. SIUE

Coming into the IU men’s soccer team’s game this weekend against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, the No. 22 Cougars (5-2) had conceded only three goals total throughout the season.

Friday night, the No. 16 Hoosiers (5-1-1) nearly matched that total in just 15 minutes with goals from senior midfielder Caleb Konstanski and junior midfielder Jacob Bushue in the 56th and 71st minutes, respectively, to give IU the 2-0 victory.

Despite the offensive pressure from the Hoosiers, SIUE outshot Indiana 11-8 during the game. Indiana was able to keep the shutout after allowing goals in both games last weekend.

“We talk about shutouts and restarts, and this group is really believing in them,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “In the past, a lot of players don’t buy into how important getting shutouts are.  You’re not going to have much success if that is your mentality.”

For much of the first half, the Hoosiers controlled the ball within the SIUE defensive third. Passing the ball around the Cougar defensive unit, the Hoosiers looked for through ball opportunities instead of crossing chances.

The Cougars used this strategy in their favor late in the first half when they countered an Indiana attack.

A Cougar forward dribbled his way the length of the field, and senior goalkeeper Luis Soffner found himself in a one-on-one situation.

Coming off his line, Soffner charged the forward, causing the shot to deflect from his own knee.

While Soffner was off the line, the Cougars had their first real opportunity of the first half after a ball was played through to Cougar forward Jared Tejada. With the goal virtually wide open, Tejada toed his first-touch shot over the Indiana crossbar.

“Luis has been playing excellent this year,” Konstanski said. “His confidence has grown this year, and the defensive unit is feeling comfortable with him. He has been making big saves for us.”

The streak of scoreless first halves from the Hoosiers continued Friday night.

The Hoosiers have entered the locker room after 45 minutes without a goal in every game since the Clemson matchup Aug. 31.

Despite the streak, the Hoosiers made their way back onto the pitch and eventually into the net during the second half Friday night.

In the 56th minute, Konstanski tracked toward the far post during a corner kick from junior midfielder A.J. Corrado.

The ball found its way through a pack of Cougar defenders and Hoosier forwards.

Just as the ball reached the back post defender, Konstanski pushed forward with his right thigh, striking the ball into the far post netting.

The collision eventually landed Konstanski and the defender in the goal with the ball.

“I just saw it skip through, and I tried to get any part of my body on it,” Konstanski said. “I got my thigh on it, and luckily the keeper didn’t get there in time, so it worked out well.”

Fifteen minutes later, Bushue scored his first goal of the season on a left-footed rip off a corner kick from junior midfielder Harrison Petts.

“As soon as the ball was bouncing out to me, all I was thinking was ‘Get it on the frame,’” Bushue said. “I’m right-footed, but I’ve probably scored more left-footed goals in my career so far.”

The ball hopped out to Bushue at the top of the 18-yard box, and he fired the ball through the pack into the center of the goal just under the keeper’s glove.

Heading into Friday’s game, the Hoosiers had struggled to score off set pieces.

On Friday night, both Hoosier goals came off corner kicks.

“We did the little things tonight that we didn’t do against Oregon State and Akron,” Konstanski said. “We played all right in those games but just had some mental gaps get through. But tonight we locked it down.”

Friday’s win was the first against a ranked opponent for the Hoosiers this season. They will look to keep the momentum going heading into Big Ten play against Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio, Sunday afternoon.