sports women's soccer

Hoosiers begin Big Ten action

Womens Soccer v. ISU

The IU women’s soccer team begins Big Ten play this weekend, traveling to Michigan to face the Wolverines.

Coming off a win Wednesday night against Indiana State has left the team confident, IU Coach Mick Lyon said.

“We are feeling that we’ve got strength in all departments — in the back, in midfield, up front,” he said. “I’m going into the game very excited about the opportunity to play our first Big Ten game.”

The Hoosiers fell to Michigan last season in a 1-0 loss in Bloomington, but Lyon said his team stayed in the game, and the results were really up in the air. He said IU stands a solid chance at a victory.

“Last year’s game was a very tight game,” he said. “It could have gone either way. I expect it to be a very close affair, and we’ve got to make sure that we’re absolutely tight in the back and don’t allow them opportunities on goal.”

The Wolverines have maintained a 6-2-0 record this season with a perfect home record of 5-0.

Lyon said Michigan players such as midfielder Meghan Toohey and forward Nkem Ezurike will pose challenges for the Hoosiers, so stepping in and closing them down will be necessary.

But as long as senior forward Orianica Velasquez, junior forward Rebecca Candler and junior midfielder Lisa Nouanesengsy bring their A-game and convert opportunities on goal, Lyon said his team will remain a contender in the match.

“If they do, I think we will be very dangerous, and I think we’ve got a good chance of winning the game,” he said.

The team is itching to get going, Lyon said.

“They’re definitely excited,” he said. “I know they’re extremely ready to get cracking on Big Ten and put themselves in a position to be in the Big Ten tournament, which will be hosted by IU.”

Lyon acknowledges that starting Big Ten play with three away games will definitely not be easy, with games against Iowa and Nebraska following the Michigan game, but he said he remains positive.

“It’s not the exact start I would have liked, but that’s the hand we were dealt, so we’ve got to make the best of it,” he said.