sports field hockey

Field hockey strives for 4-0 record

Field Hockey 8.31.12

The IU field hockey team will put its undefeated 3-0 record on the line when it faces the Louisville Cardinals (3-1) at 3 p.m. Friday.

Earlier in the season, the Cardinals were ranked No. 23, but they fell out of the top 25 after losing 3-2 to the Northeastern Huskies in the season opener.

Although IU fell to Louisville during exhibition play in mid-August, IU Coach Amy Robertson said one big difference is that this game counts. She added that the two teams are forming a very intense rivalry.

“We are kind of each other’s heartbreaker at times, one will be having a great year and the other will come and take them off of the throne.” Robertson said. “It is always a great matchup and a great battle.”

Senior forward Morgan Fleetwood said that during her previous years at IU, a rivalry definitely existed between the Hoosiers and the Cardinals.

“They started the battle of the border, and we get the stick if we win,” Fleetwood said.
Robertson said she feels this game against Louisville will be a true test for her team.

“Not to discount the teams that we have played, but I think these two teams are much more even than any team that we have played,” Robertson said. “I think we will test them and they will test us.”

Sophomore forward Nicole Volgraf said she feels many changes have been made since the exhibition meeting with Louisville.

“Everybody has been giving 110 percent every practice,” Volgraf said. “I think our general play has gotten better, but we’ve also become one unit as a team over these last couple weeks after we scrimmaged Louisville.”

In addition to practice going well this week, Volgraf said, the team is focusing on one game at a time, which has allowed them to concentrate on Louisville’s structure and play.

Although her team has enjoyed recent success, Robertson said this team still has to make people realize that their achievements up to this point aren’t a fluke.

“Doubters, I welcome them to come doubt us, and hopefully we can earn their respect and prove them wrong,” Robertson said.