politics

Democrats fill vacant county council seat

The Monroe County Democrats had a caucus Monday to fill the county council at-large seat left empty after Warren Henegar, a long-time public servant in Bloomington, passed away Aug. 21.

“Warren Henegar leaves a legacy of service and a life well-lived that is an example to all of us,” Monroe County Democrats Chair Rick Dietz said. “I know him from a small fraction of his life as a farmer and a colleague on the Monroe County Council, but if it can be said of anyone it can be said of Warren: he contained multitudes. His presence will be deeply missed, but it will continue to be felt in our community, in our lives, in the land.”

The position was filled by Alice Eads, Henegar’s daughter. She was the only person to file for the position.

“Alice Eads will serve our community and Monroe County well on the Monroe County Council,” Dietz said. “She will bring a level head and a quiet dedication to the council for the remainder of this term. I know her father would be proud of her service.”

Eads’ term will end Dec. 31. She began her term Tuesday, in time for county council budget hearings.

John Irvine gave a memorial for Henegar before the caucus began.

Three at-large seats will be filled during the November election. The Republican candidates for the office are Skip Daly, Brian Ellison and Jennifer Mickel. The Democratic candidates are Sophia Travis, Elizabeth “Lee” Jones and incumbent Geoffrey McKim.

— Mary Kenney