Conference helps minority, premed students with job search

The Tour for Diversity in Medicine student conference is coming to IU Sept. 27 as part of its excursion through the Midwest.

The conference is organized by the Health Professions and Prelaw Center and the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education.

It will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Indiana Memorial Union.

The tour aims to help minorities obtain health-related careers. The center will work with the Hudson and Holland Scholars Program, the Groups Program and the Minority Association of Premedical Students.

“The tour was started by two doctors who wanted to inspire underrepresented minority students pursuing medical careers,” Rachel Tolen, assistant director and premedical advisor with the IU center, said in an email. “Our office wanted to support the work they are doing because we think it is important for the individual students on our campus and for the future of medicine.”

Students will attend sessions for advice about looking for future jobs.

Topics include the application process, admissions tests and choosing the right specialty. Students will also have the chance to speak with people already involved with health care professions.

“Our curriculum emphasizes the importance of early exposure, advising and mentorship,” Dr. Kameron Matthews, co-director of the Tour for Diversity in Medicine, said in an email. “As current professionals, we acknowledge how these factors were important in our own career development, and so therefore, we hope to give back to current
students.”

— Sydney Murray