Monday, June 17

Column: The fashion of politics

One of the most important things a first lady can have is style. Not only is she in the American public eye regularly, her image is broadcast throughout the world and represents the United States.

Consider former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. The beloved Jackie O was a connoisseur of international relations.

If the Kennedys visited Paris, Jackie wore Givenchy. No matter where she went, she was dressed in an applicable manner.

Her attention to style aided JFK’s administration as it reinforced the youthful changes that took place in the Oval Office. Her style radiated a persona that was relatable, admirable and widely replicated.

Fast forward to present day. I’m still surprised I haven’t seen a coffee table book recording Michelle Obama’s every look.

The current first lady’s fashion is glamorous, modern and approachable. Not once has she stepped in front of the cameras in the traditional, boxy, monotone suit of first ladies past, and for that she should be commended.

President Barack Obama promised changes, and the first lady echoed his cries. She is the first wife in office to exercise her right to “bare” arms regularly, showing off her toned limbs in her sleeveless frocks.

It reflects well on this country when the president’s wife can stay culturally aware enough to choose a jacket that wasn’t designed in the 1980s.

In both cases, Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Michelle Obama are style ambassadors for the American public. When a woman has style, it is seen in everything she does.
Michelle Obama’s effortless style was seen in the way she presented herself at the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday night. She wooed the crowds with her poise and dedication. Each sentence was a tribute to her family’s character and not a stab at another candidate.

Everything she said could stand alone.

Even 14-year-old Malia Obama has a sophisticated presence. Granted, I’m impressed by any middle schooler who isn’t covered in Hollister logos. But Malia has a grace about her that can only be a product of her mother’s influence.

Some people gawk at the high-end choices Michelle Obama dons for presidential events, claiming she doesn’t understand their solemn nature.

If I had arms as toned as Michelle Obama, I would wear sleeveless gowns regularly, too. The game of politics cannot be conducted without total confidence, and the current first lady shows that she is a force to be reckoned with.

Think about Queen Elizabeth II. No one has ever seen her in a discount sweat suit, and I’m sure the rest of the world would wonder what was happening in England if she did.

Bottom line — a leading lady shouldn’t look dumpy, and Michelle Obama is doing it right. She represents our entire country in a way that American women should find inspirational.

Even if supporting emerging American designers isn’t your cup of tea, you could always find solace in her formidable arm workout.

­— mwalschl@indiana.edu