Monday, June 17

Column: Fashion in the digital age

As the hype surrounding Fashion Week comes to an end, it appears that nothing new came off the runways.

Shows were described as “reminiscent of a bygone era” or “focused on heavy influences” from previous years.

But what about now? What are the original styles and innovations of the present?

Where is our unique aesthetic?

Every decade had fashions representative of the era.

The 1920s saw hemlines rise above the knee with the popularity of the flapper and a cultural debate on women’s rights.

Nothing new happened with fashion in the ’30s because of the Great Depression.

The ’40s were all about a narrow silhouette, as the United States government imposed fabric rations during World War II.

With the end of the war, the ’50s saw full skirts and longer dresses. Uncle Sam decreed a time of excess.

The ’60s were a counter-culture reaction to the strict social policies of the previous era.

Women wore jeans and pantsuits to highlight their social dissonance.

The ’70s faced the end of the questionable Vietnam War and declarations for peace. Everything was covered in peace signs and love beads to promote well-being.

Women embraced their careers and asserted power in the workplace in the ’80s.  Shoulder pads allowed women to not only make a bold entrance into corporate America, but also to imitate their broad-shouldered coworkers.

The 1990s are often remembered as a time of “heroin chic.” Kate Moss made it cool to look like you haven’t showered for days after crawling out of an opium den.

But it was really much more than that.

Celebrities in the ’90s rejected societal norms and promoted individual desires. There was no common thread.

If that meant you wanted to wear Union Jack-printed mini dresses or dress like a vampire, then you go, girl!

The decade promoted individual expression.

The first decade of the 2000s was a rejection of this rebellion without a cause. Women’s fashion saw a return to an innocent, flirty style.

More importantly, our current decade marks a time when designers and fashionistas began stealing ideas from history books.

What is our aesthetic now? Is this the age of instant fashion?

People are no longer drooling by their mailboxes for weeks, waiting for a Fashion Week review in a magazine.

All they have to do is check Twitter, Facebook or their favorite blog to instantly view current collections.

The rise of the blogger has allowed every jewelry-making mother of two a chance to feel a part of the culture.

The digital revolution has given everyone a voice, but I’m afraid the clamor is too loud.
There are only so many street-style blogs one can look through.

I propose the next 10 years will be defined by talking about fashion, being a part of the
culture and sharing personal inspiration from fashions of the past.

The rise of technology is making the lead designers and innovators lazy with their projects and crazy with their Twitters.

For those of us craving something new, lets keep our fingers crossed that the next
decade produces something a little more innovative than high-waisted skirts.

­— mwalschl@indiana.edu