student life

35 arrested by state excise police during tailgate

The first home football game resulted in a win for the Hoosiers but ended in arrest for 35 individuals caught by the Indiana State Excise Police.

As part of the Excise Police’s Intensified College Enforcement program, excise presence at the tailgate was greater than in previous years, according to a statement released by the Excise Police.

Of the 35 people arrested during the tailgate, 34 were minors charged with illegal possession or consumption of alcohol. One adult was cited for aiding a minor to possess alcohol, according to the release.

Public Information Officer Cpl. Travis Thickstun said he was unsure of how many more officers were in the area than in previous years.

“There were officers at several campuses this weekend due to football games,” he said.

Ball State University also experienced heightened excise presence during its first home football game on Thursday.

During IU’s first home football game in 2011, officers issued citations to 61 individuals. In 2010, 35 tickets were issued. Information regarding the number of arrests made at each game was unavailable.

Despite the arrests, Interfraternity Council Vice President of Communications William Kragie said members of the greek community were responsive to the new “no handles” policy, which went into effect Saturday.

The policy banned half-gallon containers of hard liquor in the Red Lot where greeks traditionally tailgate before football games.

Kragie said the initiative to clean up the tailgate was received well among members of the greek community, although it didn’t completely eliminate the presence of hard liquor from the tailgate.

“If they chose to have hard liquor at the tailgate, they were consuming it in a more responsible way,” he said.

— Kirsten Clark