Police increase forces Labor Day weekend, prepare for DUI crackdown

In an effort to reduce the number of crashes, injuries and fatalities on Indiana roadways, state law enforcers will crack down on impaired and dangerous driving from today until Sept. 3, including Labor Day weekend. 

The Governor’s Council on Impaired and Dangerous Driving and the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute are leading the local effort, Operation Pull Over Blitz 72.

“A DUI can cause one to incur huge legal fees, result in the loss of a driver’s license, raise insurance rates, damage one’s career and bring about personal embarrassment,” ICJI Traffic Safety Division Director Ryan Klitzsch said in a press release. “As law enforcement is out in full force during this upcoming crackdown, remember to ‘Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over.’”

The slogan belongs to a national campaign funded and led by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Locally, it relies on thousands of officers from more than 250 law enforcement agencies throughout the state to enforce Indiana’s impaired driving laws.

The blitz will consist of high-visibility enforcement patrols and encompass high-profile Labor Day and end-of-summer events.

“As with other law enforcement agencies, additional officers will be working to focus on impaired driving offenses,” BPD Cpt. Joe Qualters said. “It’s an effort to make streets safer by arresting impaired drivers.”

IU Student Legal Services Director Randall Frykberg said he is not surprised law enforcers are increasing patrol targeting impaired drivers, especially as IU students return to Bloomington during Welcome Week. Qualters agreed.

“This does, in fact, mark a busy time for us as we address all of the issues that arise with the return of IU students,” he said. “This can include general traffic congestion, more pedestrians in the downtown area around the bars, loud parties, underage drinking and excessive drinking.”

Frykberg said Student Legal Services has seen a spike in the number of students seeking legal advice since February, when Indiana Excise Police initiated the Intensified College Enforcement Program.

ICE increases the number of excise officers in Bloomington, Muncie and Greencastle, Ind.. These cities are specifically targeting underage drinking. Frykberg said drinking and driving cases are “cut and dry” in Indiana.

“It is always going to fall back on students to be responsible, and I walk the line between really wanting to advocate as a lawyer for students and also being somebody who might be driving home and doesn’t want to get T-boned by somebody who has had too much,” Frykberg said.