Last week's citations pass Little 500

Indiana State Excise Police issued a record 258 citations during 2012 Welcome Week. This is more than what was handed out during last year’s Little 500 weekend.

“It is also on par with Little 500 weekend last April, when a record 256 citations were issued,” according to a statement released by Indiana State Excise Police.

The citations, issued from Aug. 15-18, included 177 for illegal possession or consumption of alcohol.

However, an increase in student drinking might not account for the spike in citations. Instead, excise officers in Bloomington during move-in week worked as part of the Intensified College Enforcement program, which “aims to reduce underage access to and use of alcohol” at various campuses around the state, according to the statement.

Excise police are also working with Ball State University, Butler University, Indiana State University, Notre Dame University and Purdue University as part of the ICE program.

“Historically, the weekend before the start of the academic year has resulted in high numbers of arrests and tickets for alcohol offenses,” the statement said. “But this weekend surpassed any previous Welcome Week at IU.”

During 2011 Welcome Week, excise officers issued 191 citations. In 2010, 138 citations were issued.

IU’s number of citations far surpassed the number issued at other schools included in the ICE program.

During move-in weekends at Ball State and Notre Dame, which occurred last weekend, excise police issued 57 and 16 tickets, respectively.

”This weekend, excise officers encountered numerous young people with dangerously high intoxication levels,” excise police Superintendent Matt Strittmatter said in the statement. “We will continue to enforce Indiana law to ensure the safety of students and local residents.”