IU Cinema offers 82,000 films

IU Cinema Opening

After 2002, the “Little Theatre,” once abuzz with student performances, sat empty.
But after a 15-month restoration project, the IU Cinema, which opened Jan. 2011, is now home to the 82,000 movie reels the University has in its archives.

With state-of-the-art technology, enthusiasts of the new cinema hope it becomes one of the best cinemas in the country.

“This is a great moment in IU history,” IU President Michael McRobbie said. “It’s a great facility, and now, like the MAC and the art museum, we have a place to see great pieces of cinematic art.”

Under the guidance of Herman B Wells, the theater officially opened its doors on March 19, 1941, and was traditionally known as the “Little Theatre.”

Originally used as a performance space, the facility included a proscenium stage, two prop rooms, a scenic design room, a green room, two chorus rooms, four dressing rooms and seven staff offices.

Until the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center opened, the “Little Theatre” was the main theater in which IU students could act. In December 2001, the theater showed its final performance, and in 2002, closed its doors.

But now, the interior of the theater has been restored to its former glory, including four of Thomas Hart Benton’s “Indiana Murals.”

“I had seen when the murals were being restored at the IU Art Museum,” said Chris Meyer, art director for the Offices of Public Affairs. “It’s great to see them so opulent.”

The cinema shows a variety of film series and is also used for academic purposes.

“I think it’s going to change the ways people will go to the movies and create a culture in film that has not been seen since the Nickelodeons,” senior Seth Mutchler said.
About 40 percent of the films shown are used in partnership with other academic departments for lectures and classes.

“I’m delighted for the University and our colleagues,” McRobbie said. “This will ensure the excellence we’ve always had in film and will become one of the best cinemas in the country.”