Handles banned from greek tailgate

On Saturday, the 17th Street Red Lot, where greeks have traditionally gone before the football game, may look a bit different to tailgate veterans.

After an Interfraternity Council discussion about reforming the image of the IU tailgate, the IFC President’s Council voted unanimously Tuesday to ban handles, half-gallon containers of hard liquor, from the greek tailgate fields.

During the first two weeks of IU’s home football season last year, Indiana State Excise issued 99 citations.

IFC Vice President of Communications William Kragie said the council hoped to re-brand the greek tailgating experience by reforming some of the more dangerous tailgate practices.

The initiative to clean up the tailgate grew out of a suggestion from Dean of Students Harold “Pete” Goldsmith.

“It wasn’t a very positive atmosphere,” Goldsmith said of the traditional tailgate experience. “So I was asked the question of what would improve the image of the greek community on-campus.”

Goldsmith said improvements in the tailgate lot would aid that effort, adding the initiative was then adopted by the IFC.

“I’m very pleased with their efforts,” he said.

The IFC’s overall effort to create a more positive tailgate experience is assisted by Student Life and Learning, IU Office of Sustainability, IU Police Department, IU Athletics Department and ESG Security.

Enforcement of the no-handles policy begins immediately, Kragie said.

“If there are any violators within the Red Lot, ESG is going to come over and try to make the tailgate compliant,” Kragie said.

If the problem persists after ESG Security’s involvement, IUPD may intervene, he said.
Beside the limitation on certain containers of alcohol, IFC and the Office of Sustainability are cleaning up the tailgate in a more literal sense as well.

The Office of Sustainability will introduce recycling receptacles to the tailgate field, a change from the previous situation in which all trash was thrown away.

“We’re trying to re-brand the greek tailgating experience at IU,” Kragie said, adding he hopes it will encourage other groups to follow suit.