Consulting group aids nonprofits, seeks new members

180 Degrees Consulting at IU, a student group that has worked with local non-profits such as Big Brothers Big Sisters and Jill’s House in the past, celebrates its one-year anniversary as 180 Degrees Consulting’s first U.S. chapter this fall.

“180 Degrees Consulting is the largest student-driven consultancy,” IU’s branch founder Jasmine Slivka said. “We work with local nonprofits over a semester-long project in areas such as operations, financial analysis and strategy with a drive to increase their social impact.”

She decided to join 180 Degrees in spring 2011 while studying abroad in Australia at the University of Sydney. 

“I heard about the organization on campus, decided to apply and was lucky to get in,” Slivka said.

Upon her return, she was asked to launch the first branch in the United States at IU. Since fall 2011, it has become one of the largest branches in the world.

This year, the organization expects to add 36 to 42 students. It is expected that at least 150 students will apply.

Started in Australia by a student named Nathaniel Ware, the consulting group has been committed to lending a hand and giving back to the community since 2007.

“180Degrees allows students to grow by giving them direct responsibility to improve an outside organization,” Kyle Matkovic, branch vice president and IU graduate student, said in an email. “Like in the real world, students will be meeting with and issuing reports to executive directors and boards of local nonprofit organizations, allowing them to develop an understanding of how their studies can be transformed into results.

“In addition, 180Degrees has a global agreement with one of world’s most recognized management consulting firms as well as several regional agreements with other national and international firms. These agreements give students the opportunity to network with recruiters from these organizations as well as be trained using their methodologies.”

Kevin Kirchner, IU senior and branch president, said students involved with 180 Degrees can make a difference in the lives of those in Bloomington.

“With little to no resources, thousands of nonprofit organizations meaningfully affect the lives of individuals across the world every single day,” he said in an email. “Unfortunately, many of these organizations are formed and run by individuals who have very limited resources, especially time. If community members are willing to assist these organizations by contributing knowledge derived from their individual areas of expertise, these nonprofits can expand their reach and impact by utilizing their existing resources more efficiently, resulting in more people in each of our communities living better lives.”

Matkovic said the organization offers students opportunities they might not be able to find elsewhere.

“180Degrees Consulting is one of, and perhaps the only, student organization within IU that allows students to apply the concepts used in their coursework to real-life situations in which they are not simply volunteering for an organization but formulating and implementing solutions for clients that will create an impact long after the student has left 180Degrees,” he said. “In addition to consulting, it gives students from all majors the opportunity to interact with other high-achieving students in other areas of study, network with recruiters and generate meaningful social impacts.”

A callout event is scheduled 7 p.m. Tuesday at Kelley School of Business 102. Interested students can apply for the fall semester on the branch’s Facebook page, facebook.com/180DegreesIndiana.

The deadline is Thursday. Following the initial application, an in-person interview and a case interview with fellow students, those asked to join will be divided into teams of five. Each team will aid a nonprofit organization within the Bloomington community.