"American Idiot" to rock IU Auditorium

American Idiot

The rock band Green Day has transformed its album “American Idiot” into an award-winning musical.

IU students will have the chance to watch the show during two performances at 8 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday at the IU Auditorium.

Opening in 2009 at the Berkeley Repertory Theatre in California, the musical moved to Broadway in April 2010. Now, the musical is on tour.

“This is really not your typical Broadway musical,” IU Auditorium Events Manager Maria Talbert said. “It’s probably the most powerful and emotional music of this kind that I have ever seen. It really blew me away. It’s about young people finding a way to improve their lives and the world around them. It’s what people of all ages are striving to do, but it certainly resonates with the youth.”

Leading actress Alyssa DiPalma, who plays the character Whatsername, said she promises the show will be exciting.

“This is the most physical show I have ever been involved in,” DiPalma said. “We have had to keep our bodies really up to par.”

Videos including a commercial, performance preview and overview of the production are located on the auditorium’s website.

The IU Cinema will show “Broadway Idiot,” a documentary following Green Day’s lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong, at 3 p.m. Tuesday.

Director Doug Hamilton will be present during the screening and will introduce and discuss the film.

“We want the students to be aware that it is coming and know that it is for them,” Talbert said. “Out of every show of our season, I think students will definitely walk away feeling very impacted.”

Tickets for “American Idiot” are currently on sale at the auditorium box office.

Student tickets are available for $20 and may be purchased through Office of the Bursar billing or with a credit card.

“It’s a very honest coming of age story,” DiPalma said. “I think it’s important for the audience to take away that you need to make mistakes to get where you need to be and to know where you need to go. It’s about removing yourself from the media-saturated world, break out and make your own ideas.”