IUPUI offers philanthropy program

campus courtesy photo

When a degree program in philanthropic studies was introduced at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis in fall 2010, Arishaa Khan immediately switched her major from elementary education to philanthropic studies, joining a small group of IUPUI’s first undergraduates to earn a degree in this field.

“I do not recall a single moment of hesitation,” Khan said in an email. “Volunteering and taking part in charity has been a part of my family and religious tradition for as long as I remember. ... I can not imagine what I would be doing with my life that would be as rewarding and fitting for me as philanthropic studies.”

In May 2012, Khan and four other classmates graduated from IUPUI with a bachelor of arts in philanthropic studies.

Since the program’s inception, 21 undergraduate students have declared philanthropic studies as their major. The number is expected to increase to 75 students by 2015, according to a Chronicle of Philanthropy article.

The program combines real-world application with theory, allowing students to enroll in a variety of courses on nonprofit topics, as well as complete a required internship.

Julie Hatcher, director of undergraduate programs at the Center on Philanthropy at IUPUI, said in a Chronicle of Philanthropy article that most students complete more than one internship in their time at the center, putting their classroom skills to use in a real-world setting.

“I think this program has the perfect mix of theory, history and practice,” Khan noted. “With certain classes like the internship requirement, the capstone class and various other courses requiring hands-on research and experience, I think I have been able to develop a practical outlook on the nonprofit field.”

According to the department website, “Philanthropic Studies provides a theoretical framework and practical knowledge about voluntary action and organizations that support the giving of ‘time, talent, and treasure’ in society. ... The bachelor’s degree offers an opportunity for students to understand the cultural traditions of voluntary action and practice working with others towards the common good.”

While the graduation of this first class of undergraduates in the field is a major step for IUPUI’s Center on Philanthropy, IUPUI, along with other higher education institutions across the country, already offers masters and doctorate degrees in philanthropic studies.

These degrees have become increasingly popular as interest in the nonprofit sector and fundraising has grown. The addition of an undergraduate program in the area is simply an adaptation necessary to accommodate the growing interest in this field of study.

In the spring of 2010, Mark Lighthizer completed his sophomore year at Hanover College and transferred to IUPUI in the fall when he discovered, and decided to pursue, a philanthropic studies degree.

Now, after graduating, Lighthizer has no regrets.

“The program was fantastic and exactly what I was looking for because it allowed me to study the nonprofit sector and its relation to government, and the for-profit sector as well as volunteerism and civil society,” he wrote in an email.

Both Lighthizer and Khan will continue their studies in graduate school at IUPUI, each pursuing a masters degree in philanthropic studies.

But before Khan returns to class, she said she will first serve as the development officer for the Islamic Society of North America to gain real-world experience.

The other philanthropy studies graduates from the 2008 class are also pursuing positions at nonprofit organizations and foundations.

“I still have much to learn about myself and how I fit into the larger scheme of things within the nonprofit sector,” Lighthizer noted.