sports women's basketball

MAC Freshman of the Year transfers to IU

Less the two months into his new job, IU women’s basketball Coach Curt Miller is
wasting no time rebuilding a struggling program.

Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year Claire Jakubicek was added to the
team's roster Wednesday after transferring from Northern Illinois University.

“We are excited that Claire has elected to join our Hoosier family,” Miller said in a press release. “Claire is coming off an outstanding freshman season at the collegiate level. She is a versatile, hard-working forward that can score both on the perimeter and inside the paint. She is strong and physical which allows her to play bigger than her size.

This past season, Jakubicek led the Huskies in scoring with 11 points per game, making her one of three freshmen in the MAC to average double figures. The 5’11” forward shot 46.3 percent from the field and a team-high 95.9 percent from the foul line, and grabbed 5.1 rebounds per game, second on the team.

Jakucibek scored in double figures 13 times and set career highs in points (21), rebounds (8) and assists (5) in a win over Chicago State on Dec. 11, 2011. She appeared in 24 games before a broken right foot suffered on Feb. 16 against Ball State ended her season.

A native of Cary, Ill., Jakubicek is enrolled in summer classes at IU but will sit out the
2012-13 season. She will begin her Hoosier career as a redshirt sophomore in 2013.

Before starring at NIU, Jakubicek was a four-year varsity letter-winner at Cary Grove
High School. She finished her career as the Trojan’s all-time leading scorer with 1,700
points and led the Trojans to a 101-19 record during her four seasons. During her junior
and senior seasons, Jakubicek captained her team to back-to-back conference and
regional championships.