sports baseball

First baseman Travis named Big Ten Freshman of the Year

IU first baseman Sam Travis was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year on Tuesday, becoming just the second Hoosier to capture the honor after Alex Dickerson won the award in 2009.

Eight other Hoosiers collected various Big Ten honors. With 12 total awards, Indiana tied Purdue for the most student-athletes honored.

Travis currently ranks in the conference top five in several major offensive categories, including second in RBI (49) and fourth in homeruns (9). He leads the team in both categories.

Junior Jonny Hoffman was named to the All-Big Ten First Team, making him the ninth Hoosier under Head Coach Tracy Smith in the past five years to earn such recognition. During the regular season, Hoffman posted a 7-1 record with an ERA of 2.36 in 25 appearances. He was the only relief pitcher selected to the First Team.

Freshman catcher Kyle Schwarber, sophomore designated hitter Dillion Dooney and Travis were named to the Second Team. Like Travis, Schwarber is near the top in many of the conference’s offensive statistical categories. He is second in runs scored (49) and triples (5), and third in RBI (47).

Joey DeNato was the lone Hoosier on the Third Team, his second all-conference team selection in as many years. Last season as a freshman, he was selected to the First Team.

IU leads the way in All-Freshman team selections, filling five of 14 spots. Travis, Schwarber, third baseman Chad Clark and outfielder Chris Sujka were unanimous selections and are joined by starting pitcher Kyle Hart.

Senior Drew Leininger was selected as IU’s Big Ten Sportsmanship Honoree for his academic ability, good citizenship outside the world of sports, good sportsmanship and ethical behavior.

Jason Haddix