Women’s golf heads to familiar course for conference championship

Scattered across the IU Practice Facility, members of the IU women’s golf team chipped, putted and hit approach shots.

Each player was focused and in her private world, fine-tuning the details of her game.

“It was a tune-up day, so it was about tweaking and getting comfortable and in the right frame of mind,” IU Coach Clint Wallman said. “Ever since we got out of February, everything has been geared toward practicing for French Lick.”

The routines and strategies the team has practiced all season will come to culmination April 27 to 29 at the Big Ten Women’s Golf Championship in French Lick, Ind.

Last year’s squad placed seventh at the event, but junior co-captain Kate Coons said this year’s team is determined to finish strong.

“I think this year has been better with playing because the things we work on is seen in tournaments,” Coons said. “It’s also a good thing heading into Big Tens. Everyone feels good, and the team chemistry has been good.”

Heading into the 54-hole stroke play event, the squad knows the obstacles of the Donald Ross Course at the French Lick Resort. IU has the advantage of having competed at the course in the fall, placing sixth at the Lady Northern Intercollegiate.

Junior Rosie Davies said the team focused its practices on overcoming the intimidating course full of elevated and sloped greens.

“It will challenge every part of our game but particularly the sloped lies,” Davies said. “We’ve been practicing particular putts that have more break in them so we are
mentally prepared for it. Some of the teams haven’t seen it, but we know what to expect so we feel like we have an advantage.”

IU will enter the tournament as the No. 9 seed, playing alongside Nebraska and Wisconsin. Michigan State will look to defend its title at the event as the No. 2 seed, while Ohio State enters the field at the No. 1 seed.

Coming off a win at the IU Invitational, senior co-captain Kristtini Cain said the team has the confidence to finish well if the golfers keep focus.

Cain leads the team in stroke average and earned her first collegiate title with a playoff win at the IU Invitational. She was named Big Ten Golfer of the Week after the win.

“We’ve had a really good week of practice and done everything we can to play courses similar to the Donald Ross,” Cain said. “I just need to make birdies, since that’s what’s been holding me back all semester. I’ve been making a lot of putts this week, so that’s what I’m focusing on. If I can just relax and make those birdies, I’ll be fine.”

Although this is the last scheduled event for the squad this year, Wallman said he tries to downplay the importance because golf is a game of mentality.

“By nature the event is bigger, but it’s another golf course, and we try to stick the routine as best as we can,” Wallman said. “The course is very challenging, so it will get into some people’s heads. If we manage ourselves better, then we will be fine.”