Why I'm thankful for IU

Almost.

There are a multitude of reasons to attend IU-Bloomington.

Every fall more than 40,000 undergraduates come to Bloomington, excited, hopeful and ready to begin a new semester of their academic careers. Many others apply to do the very same, but for whatever reason are unable to do so.

IU is the beacon of a statewide university system, and one with nationally ranked programs in business, public affairs, music, education and numerous other disciplines. 

It is consistently ranked as having one of the most beautiful campuses and being one of the best party schools in the country. 

Even in a family of Purdue fans, I marveled at the way that the IU alumni I knew spoke about the school. Talking about Bloomington and IU brought a sparkle to their eyes the same way I know it brings a sparkle to mine when I’m away. Still, although I am now completely happy with my decision to be a Hoosier, I spent the better part of my freshman year wondering how the heck I ended up here.

As an introvert that grew up in a tiny Catholic school and only spent two years in what could be considered a big, “real-world” public school, I applied to almost 10 liberal arts colleges in addition to IU, knowing that I longed for an intimate, unintimidating environment and small classes. 

While I was excited to receive my acceptance notification from IU, I had no intentions of attending.

Then, for whatever reason, things changed. I grew to love my large public high school with its wide array of people from every background. 

I liked that I could have a small group of friends while still remaining somewhat anonymous in a sea of people. 

I decided that perhaps I needed to branch out and attend a large state school in which I could continue to meet people that were different than myself.

Freshman year I spent my time feeling somewhat lost and confused. I made friendly acquaintances and one new close friend, but for the most part spent my time with a couple high-school friends and roommate, a childhood friend, while regretting the more shallow reasons I chose to come here and forgetting what attracted me to this place to begin with.

I went home for the summer and couldn’t believe how much I missed IU. I felt out of place in my own hometown, knowing that Bloomington was my new home. 

I vowed that when I came back in the fall, I would make the most of every second I had left.

This year, with open eyes and a willingness to seize the opportunities presented to me, I have fallen in love with IU and done things that I know I couldn’t have if I gone anywhere else.

I’ve been extremely lucky to work at three on-campus jobs, which were all fun, enriching and rewarding. I’ve attended more free improv shows, musical performances, storytelling nights and exercise classes than I can count.

I’ve run a Nearly-Naked Mile and attended a Little 500 bike race.I’ve remembered how amazing the sport of basketball is as I’ve fallen in love with our powerhouse team and felt the rush of energy that only big school spirit can provide. 

And most importantly, I’ve gotten to figure out parts of myself that I wouldn’t have been able to figure out had I not broken out of my comfort zone and decided to attend this amazing institution.

I’ve learned that you are often most challenged to think and discover in the places you least expect.

I’ve learned that despite my introverted nature, I really, really like going to house parties and meeting new people.

I’ve learned that laying in the grass and staring at the stars with other people from my living-learning center is often more fulfilling and enlightening that any of the hour and a half lectures I’ve attended.

Thank you, IU, for expanding my mind, improving my outlook and changing who I am for the better. As the year comes to a close, I already can’t wait to see what the next two years have in store

— kabease@indiana.edu