Plea agreement reduces Bedford man’s sentence

Bedford

Bedford, Ind., resident Missy Wilson had just learned the man who killed her son would face eight years in prison instead of the 16 he previously faced.

Brent Knapp, 24, had been charged with murder after he allegedly shot Braden Wilson, 20, in July 2010. Last week, the Lawrence County prosecutor told Missy Wilson the judge would hear a plea agreement in which Knapp could plead guilty to reckless homicide in exchange for having the murder charges dropped.

At about 9:30 a.m. Monday, the judge accepted the agreement, and Knapp now faces charges for reckless homicide, a Class C felony, and criminal recklessness while armed with a deadly weapon, a Class C felony. The murder charge had been dropped.

Missy Wilson grabbed a cigarette and paced as friends, family and supporters gathered around.

While the judge heard Knapp’s plea, the group had waited across the street from Courthouse Plaza in downtown Bedford protesting the pending agreement.

Signs on neon poster board expressed outrage with the Lawrence County prosecutor and referenced Knapp’s previous criminal record, which protesters said included a stabbing, a beating and marijuana possession.

“No plea agreement for Braden Wilson’s killer,” one sign read.

“What is justice?” read another.

Knapp’s attorney, Lorinda Youngcourt, could not be reached for comment.

A display outside the courthouse recreated the crime scene, protest organizer Eddie McLain said. McLain and Missy Wilson have been friends for more than 20 years, McLain said. The display consisted of mannequins and demonstrated the path of the bullet.

Lisa Fish, who helped organize the protest, said the shooting occurred when Knapp entered Braden Wilson’s bedroom in the apartment they shared. The two had been friends and coworkers at a local restaurant, Pappa’s.

Braden Wilson was in bed with his girlfriend, Raichal Miller.

According to court documents, Miller woke to the sound of Braden Wilson warning Knapp to “not mess with the guns and that the guns were loaded.”

Miller saw Knapp holding a long gun at the side of the bed. The report said that seconds later, Miller heard a loud noise and felt numbness in her arm followed by extreme pain.

The display showed what an autopsy revealed: Braden Wilson had been shot in the head, and the bullet had then entered Miller’s arm.

“His girlfriend was seven months pregnant at the time,” Fish said. “It’s done a lot of damage to her arm. She’s still having reconstructive surgeries to her arm.”

Knapp later admitted that, prior to the shooting, he had been drinking and snorting Adderall pills.

Alicia Bunch and Amber Jenkins worked with both Knapp and Braden Wilson at Pappa’s.

The two wore T-shirts with Braden Wilson’s picture printed on them.

Bunch said Knapp and Braden Wilson had been best friends, nearly inseparable, even though she said Knapp was violent.

“They’re bringing this up again, and they’ve been holding it off for so long, it’s just opening new wounds,” Bunch said.

Braden Wilson was three weeks away from celebrating his 21st birthday when he was killed, Missy Wilson said. She said Knapp had been charged with stabbing another man in June 2010. He was jailed, she said, and bond was posted at $300.

“Had they kept him in jail, he would not have even been in court until July 21, which is the day after my son was shot,” Missy Wilson said. “So he wouldn’t have even shot Braden if they had kept him in jail.”

Disappointed with the judge’s decision to rule in favor of Knapp’s plea agreement, Missy Wilson plans to seek an appeal.

“I’m taking it all the way to the top,” she said. “I’m not going to stop until at least another mother doesn’t have to stand where I’m at.”