Lunar lullabies from Mars Volta

mars volta

“Don’t step on me ‘cause I’m a land-mine,” wails Cedric Bixler-Zavala on the opening track, “Whip Hand,” from the Mars Volta’s highly anticipated sixth album, “Noctourniquet.”

As promised in the aforementioned quote, this album is explosive and packed with serious energy. Released on March 26, it has been promised to be the last of its kind by band members, which makes it an all-the-more-exciting listen.

“Noctourniquet” has been in development for the past three years, beginning with its conception directly following the band’s last release, “Octahedron.”

However, the members have proclaimed that after “Noctourniquet,” the creative and directive efforts of the band will undergo some transformations.

Keeping this in mind, fans can look forward to a progressive Mars Volta, although that sounds a bit redundant, while soaking up this final, traditional production.

Based on a mythical Greek fable, Hyacinthus, and a comic-book character, Solomon Grundy, the music coming from these guys’ instruments feels more ethereal than ever. Songs feel a bit more approachable here than on previous albums.

Oscillating between synth-heavy and pop-snap percussion, these tracks provide noises that seem spacey. Bixler-Zavala’s voice is much more sacred than profane in these songs, which adds to the approachability of this album.

If someone was interested in foraging a fondness for the group’s work, this would be an ideal stepping-stone.

Still, the Mars Volta sounds like Mars Volta through and through on this more recent release.

“Whip Hand” initiates the listener into a roaring and fuzzy kick in the pants, which aptly sets the pace for much of the album.

However, some other songs, such as “Trinkets Pale of the Moon,” illustrate a haunting feeling that brings to mind lunar lullabies.

With “Noctourniquet,” the Mars Volta offers a fantastic testament to its finesse and depth.