IUPD Chief recommends discretion, planning during Little 500

One hundred and thirty-four people were unable to avoid the Indiana State Excise Police during last year’s Little 500 weekend. The excise police issued 167 tickets to those individuals, the highest number since 2008.

IU police, Bloomington police and officers borrowed from nearby police departments, such as Ellettsville and Indianapolis, will be on patrol this week.

IUPD Chief Keith Cash offered advice for avoiding him and his colleagues.

IDS What is the most common crime that results in arrest during Little 500 week?

CASH Most offenses are alcohol-related. Persons are either violating an alcohol law, underage drinking or public intoxication. Those intoxicated sometimes break other laws, such as vandalism or fighting.

IDS What are police looking for in particular this week?

CASH Anyone drawing attention to themselves with behavior that shows they cannot care for themselves (and) large gatherings or soon-to-be large gatherings with drinking and noise-related complaints.

IDS How can students stay safe during the week?

CASH If they choose to drink, they should do so responsibly, and they shouldn’t engage in behaviors that invite the attention of the police.

IDS How would you say students can have fun and still operate within the law this week?

CASH If they choose to party, do so in a responsible manner that will not draw the attention of the police.

IDS If students legally drink at bars, how should they get home this week without violating public intoxication laws? This summer, a ruling made vehicles public places.

CASH This shouldn’t change the way persons travel. It is still appropriate to use a designated driver or use some form of public transportation if someone has consumed more alcohol than will allow them to safely operate a vehicle or to walk safely home.

Mary Kenney