sports water polo

IU finishes 3rd at CWPA Western Division Championships

polo

The IU women’s water polo team topped Maryland in a third-place game Sunday at the Collegiate Water Polo Association Western Division Championships.

The Terrapins were the top seed in the tournament but allowed two fourth-period goals, which would lead to an eventual 7-6 upset by the second-seeded Hoosiers. Only Michigan and Hartwick placed above IU.

Sophomore Shae Fournier led IU in the scoring department, tallying four goals, including the game-winner at the 4:06 mark in the final quarter. Those goals added to her already record-setting goal-scoring year as she continues to break the single season scoring record — she currently sits at 89.

Freshman Colleen McNaught, sophomore Meghan Lappan and senior Hanna Eimstad each tallied a goal in the Indiana victory.

Senior goalkeeper Cassie Wyckoff had her second straight 11-save game.

After Maryland notched a goal on its first possession, Fournier connected on two goals to give Indiana a 2-1 edge. The Terrapins eventually knotted things up at two, but the Hoosiers responded with two goals of their own.

Maryland then scored the game’s next three goals, two of which came near the beginning of the third quarter.

Maryland would add another goal in the third quarter, but the final period belonged to IU.

The Hoosiers held the Terrapins scoreless and tallied the eventual game-winning goal off a Fournier strike with just more than four minutes to play.

“We came up with some timely goals in the fourth quarter, and our defense really stayed strong when it mattered most,” said IU Coach Barry King in an interview with IU athletics. “Maryland is a very talented squad, and that’s a quality win to build on as we prepare for the Easterns.”

IU will be back in action in Providence, R.I., from April 27-29, where they seek to repeat as CWPA Eastern Champions.

— Jeremy Smith