Column: The six commandments of nutrition

Food

As Lent came to a close last week and Passover began this week, the influence of religion on individuals’ diets has been on my mind more than usual.

I have the utmost respect for my Catholic friends who made dietary sacrifices, such as giving up alcohol for 40 days, and my Jewish friends who are currently enjoying a diet filled with lots and lots of matzo.

Having the willpower to abstain is a testament to their devotion to their faith.

While it is unlikely I will ever be found making any sort of dietary sacrifices to appease a higher power, I do channel my inner willpower on a daily basis out of devotion to my health.

The following “commandments” make up the backbone of my nutrition convictions.

Though they were not handed down from a god and come with no promise of an afterlife, I still try to avoid “sinning” and believe that adhering to them can help extend my life on earth.  

1. Thou shalt follow the principle, “The key to life is everything in moderation, including moderation.” This Julia Child quote sums up a fundamental philosophy I have that nothing should be completely off-limits and that all foods can be enjoyed in sensible and occasional servings. It is only through not heavily restricting oneself that a healthy relationship with food can be
fostered.

2. Thou shalt eat a variety of foods. To have a balanced diet, it is important to eat a wide range of foods, especially when it comes to fruits and vegetables. This will ensure your diet is not lacking in particular nutrients.

3. Thou shalt avoid the freezer section and processed foods. Eating natural foods free of additives is key to maintaining optimal sodium levels in the body and being much healthier overall. It is especially important to avoid processed meats, such as hotdogs, which are filled with carcinogenic
nitrates.

4. Thou shalt eat at least six servings of fruits and vegetables daily. The phytochemicals and other properties found in produce are shown to help prevent cancer in individuals and are a chief component of a healthy diet. In addition, more vibrantly colored and nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables should be eaten whenever possible. For example, you can swap a sweet potato for a regular one.

5. Thou shalt eat meat only once a day. Americans consume an excess amount of protein in their diets, and it is usually in the form of high-fat meats. Swapping equally filling and protein-rich foods such as legumes and Greek yogurt in one’s diet can dramatically cut down on saturated-fat
intake.

6. Thou shalt be open to trying new foods. Science has proven that it takes our bodies at least three times of eating a food before we will begin to really enjoy it. There are so many fantastic and complex tastes out there to experience if you give them a chance.

These six rules are really just a small glimpse into my nutrition beliefs. To fully explain what goes into eating the healthiest diet possible, I would need space almost equivalent to the Bible to fill.
However, having basic guidelines can serve as an important start to shaping not only one’s faith but also one’s diet.

­— hsspence@indiana.edu