Campus MovieFest ends with screenings

The entrance of the Buskirk-Chumley Theater on Monday night looked more like a Hollywood cinema than a college-town venue.

A red carpet whisked film fanatics inside the doors, many seeming eager to know who the night’s winner would be.

Campus MovieFest came to a close Monday with the screening of the top 16 films from the 92 submitted.

Each film was developed, filmed and set on screen by various teams of student filmmakers. Teams were given a week and top-of-the-line equipment to make their films from March 22 to 28.

Ross Schneider, president of the Blooming Artist Agency, said the bar had been set high this year.

“This is the fourth year we’ve done this, and in the past, we’ve had some really amazing films that have competed on the international level,” he said. “One of our movies last year made it to the top five for best picture at the International Grand Finale.”

Schneider added that this is a feat for IU, as it is one of the few competing schools that doesn’t have a film school or program.

This situation was addressed by the evening’s opening speaker, Batman films producer Michael Uslan.

“We’ve got a groundswell up and going, from students, from deans, from administrators,” Uslan said. “Because, folks, its time Indiana University had a film school.”

The crowd responded with shouts of praise, energy and a long standing ovation. That energy and fervor for the genre of film came through in the next 80 minutes of films shown.

This year, the subjects of each film offered a diverse set of entertainment for those present. From the more serious topics in “Found Wanting” to the comedic relief of “Afro Thunda,” the movies each showcased student talent and drive to create high quality and entertaining films.

“Man Crush,” a narrative about two friends solving a predicament, was popular with both the crowd and the judges. It won both the Best Actor and Best Picture awards.

One half of the directing duo for the film, senior Charlie Myers, was a seasoned veteran with CMF and offered some words of encouragement.

“This is my third and final year, and anyone who is a freshman or just got involved, keep coming back,” he said.

During his pre-show talk, Uslan echoed Myers’ sentiment.

“The whole thing about filmmaking comes down to one thing — passion,” Uslan said. “You’ve got to make it your life’s work. When you’re just burning with that passion and you just love it and feel the life of the creative environment, don’t let any joker talk you out of it.”

Campus Moviefest Competition results

Audience Award “Afro Thunda,” produced by Happy Jack Productions
Silver Tripod “Freaks,” produced by 3:17; “Man Crush,” produced by Cloud Nine Collaborations; “Afro Thunda,” produced by Happy Jack Productions
Best Actor Landon Scott for his performance in “Man Crush”
Best Actress Charnette Batey for her performance in “Afro Thunda”
Best Drama “Found Wanting,” produced by Red Tape Films
Best Comedy “J-WALKER,” produced by Giant Cat
Best Picture “Man Crush,” produced by Cloud Nine Collaborations