Urban Outfitters draws criticism for Navajo, Irish products

Urban

Urban Outfitters, Inc., drew  some negative attention recently in the wake of a lawsuit filed by the Navajo Nation on Feb. 28, coupled with its release of a line of St. Patrick’s Day products that caused consumer criticism for its association of the Irish with alcohol.

Media outlets across the country such as CNN and ABC picked up the story and linked the two events, although marketing professor Theresa Williams, also the director of the Center for Education and Research in Retailing, said the Navajo Nation’s lawsuit and the case with the St. Patrick’s Day merchandise are two
different stories.

The lawsuit concerns a violation of infringement on the part of Urban Outfitters, which released a line of products last year that featured a southwestern print and was labeled with the name “Navajo.”

While some were offended by the “Navajo” name being attached to products such as flasks and women’s underwear, the lawsuit cites the federal Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990, which prohibits products from falsely suggesting their affiliation with the Native American culture.

Davina Two Bears, a doctoral student from the community of Bird Springs on the
Navajo reservation in Arizona, said the outlet store is making money unjustly.

“They’re making money of our tribe’s name,” she said. “I think that people don’t think about that because Native Americans aren’t high on their priority list. They don’t think before they use it.”

The name “Navajo” and about 10 other related terms have been trademarked by the tribe.

“The Navajo story is a trademark infringement case, so it goes well beyond, ‘We upset a few people by some things we said or some graphics we used,’” Williams said.

The dispute regarding Urban Outfitters’ line of St. Patrick’s Day products, however, had some congressional leaders saying the retailer crossed a line of good taste, and they requested the products be pulled from the market.

Urban Outfitters’ St. Patrick’s Day line included graphic t-shirts with phrases such as “Kiss Me. I’m drunk, or Irish or whatever” and “Irish I were drunk.” Also in question was a green trucker hat labeled with the phrases “Irish Yoga” and “Downward Facing Upchuck” with an image of a stick figure on all fours vomiting shamrocks.

Upon trying to access the products online, a message pops up to notify the customer the merchandise is sold out.

Williams said although she isn’t choosing sides in the issue, what is
permissible when producing a line of products is dictated by the brand and the reputation it has built for itself.

“Being controversial and being cutting edge aligns with the vision story for Urban. That’s who they are,” Williams said. “It would’ve been a very different story if it would’ve been Talbots who had produced these t-shirts.”

Producing controversial and thought-provoking merchandise, she said, has been a strategy used by many companies, not just Urban Outfitters. She cited United Colors of Benetton, which stepped into the spotlight last November after the release of its “Unhate” campaign advertisements featuring photo-edited images of world leaders kissing.

The two events had marginal effects on Urban Outfitters’ stock prices. When the markets opened Feb. 28, the day the lawsuit was filed and the St. Patrick’s Day products began garnering attention, the stock price was $29.69 per share. When the NASDAQ markets closed at 4 p.m. Wednesday, stock was $28.24 per share. Stock volume, however, decreased from 2,822,726 shares Feb. 28 to 1,895,675 shares
Wednesday.

Williams said whether recent events will affect how IU students shop at Urban Outfitters depends on the customer.

“The majority of students, they see that kind of stuff at Urban all the time,” she said. “This was an isolated thing that broke in the press, but if you go there consistently, you see it all over the store. If it’s not one idea, it’s something else.”

IU student Lauren Deranek said she shops at Urban Outfitters seasonally and believes the shirts are a matter of preference.

“If you want to buy it, buy it, and if you don’t want to buy it, don’t,” she said. “It’s a holiday, and everyone knows it’s a drinking holiday, and if you want to celebrate it with a funny shirt on, go for it.”

Urban Outfitters on Kirkwood Avenue declined comment.