Death toll down to 12 from officially stated 14 in southern Indiana

Henryville Tornado

Editors note: IDS reporters are near the Indiana/Kentucky border north of Louisville this weekend after strong storms and tornadoes hit the area Friday afternoon.

Update as of 11 a.m. Sunday

The death toll is now at 12 people, down from 14. One death has been reported in Clark County (down from what was reported as three), three in Scott County, four in Washington County and four in Jefferson County.

Towns are now in the process of cleanup. This story will be updated throughout the day with more information,.

Update as of 5 p.m. Saturday

Gov. Mitch Daniels visited various towns Saturday, surveying the damage and commenting on aid from federal and state agencies.

“Maybe people elsewhere are as giving and caring as Hoosiers, but I’d be surprised,” said Daniels, who walked door-to-door in Marysville Saturday morning. “Every place I’ve been, I keep bumping into folks from elsewhere who came in of their own free will to help. I’ve never failed to be moved by the hearts people have for their neighbors when they are suffering like this.”

Three deaths have been reported in Clark County, three in Scott County, four in Washington County and four in Jefferson County.

In Clark County alone, 400 power lines are down, leaving about 3,000 - 5,000 people without power.

Family and friends can call 800-872-6743 or 812-246-5424 to locate family members.

Henryville, Ind.

Before the storm hit Marysville, the tornado ran through Henryville, Ind., a little more than 10 miles away. As of now, officials report only one Henryville resident died in the tornado.

Around 2:30 p.m. Friday, the tornado's path crossed Henryville Junior Senior High School, taking off the building's roof.

"It's pretty much totally destroyed," said Clark County Sheriff Danny Rodden. "We're lucky, we got kids, staff, faculty, everybody got out safe. There were no fatalities. Probably some injuries, but nothing devastating as far as fatalities."

Rodden said about 30 students were rescued from the building after the tornado hit, and most students had left the premises on buses before the storm.

At 9 p.m. Friday, volunteers from counties around Henryville gathered at the Monroe Township Volunteer Fire Department. Indiana State Police Sgt. Jerry Goodin said Henryville is the command center for Clark, Scott and Washington counties because Clark County suffered the most damage.

"So what we're telling people in Scott County and Washington County or any other county that's received damage, it's important to contact us and give us the information," Goodin said. "We're going to go out and search and find those folks that you're worried about."

Marysville, Ind.

A baby blue water tower reading “Marysville” hovers over a small white church— now with shattered windows and its front door ripped from its hinges by a tornado that hit the small town Friday afternoon.

Marysville, Ind., a town of approximately 1,900 residents, is “a total loss,” said Jason Cochran, deputy chief of the New Washington Fire and EMS Department. The tornado devastated the town at approximately 3:30 p.m. Friday.

“Most of the houses are totally destroyed,” Cochran said.

Saturday morning, residents displaced from the storm were still gathering their belongings—pets, photographs, anything left—and leaving town.

While some homes have been destroyed beyond recognition, others remain on their foundations, but with severe damage.

Two people have been transported to the hospital in Charleston, Ind., so far. But unlike other towns in the area, no deaths have been reported in Marysville.

“We actually had to rescue one gentlemen from the second floor of his home, which was pretty much destroyed and opened all the walls,” Cochran said.

Homes are smashed and power lines snapped, but community spirit has not been cracked.

“Maybe people elsewhere are as giving and caring as Hoosiers, but I’d be surprised,” said Gov. Mitch Daniels, who walked door-to-door in Marysville Saturday morning. “Every place I’ve been, I keep bumping into folks from elsewhere who came in of their own free will to help. I’ve never failed to be moved by the hearts people have for their neighbors when they are suffering like this.”

Marysville Hardware is one of few buildings in Marysville still standing without substantial structural damage. Owners Sue and JR Righthouse, along with four other employees, waited out the storm in the business’s bathroom.

Now, the small business acts as a meeting location for rescue teams and community members.

“God blessed us,” Sue Righthouse said. “We have a store, we had a house tonight, we’re here for the community. This store is 101 years old. We don’t desert that community and whatever the community needs.”

The store will remain open all night for those in need, acting also as a central hub for rescuers.

So far, RJ Righthouse said members of the community have come into the hardware store to purchase flashlights and safety tape, but Saturday was even busier.

Rep. Terry Goodin said President Barack Obama and the White House staff have been notified of the condition of Marysville, along with other towns in the area destroyed by tornados. Obama, Goodin said, has instructed federal agencies to aid in disaster relief.

Many displaced Marysville residents who were unable to remain at home or stay with friends and family found refuge at Charleston High School.

“Say a prayer for this town,” Sue Righthouse said.