Column: Scouting the Aggies

WHO New Mexico State (26-9, 10-4 WAC)
WHAT IU's first NCAA Tournament game
WHEN 9:45 p.m. ET tonight
WHERE Rose-Garden Arena, Portland, Ore.
HOW CBS, IU Radio Network, Live Audio on IUHoosiers.com

Scouting New Mexico State

Head coach Marvin Menzies, fourth season
Leading scorer Senior forward Wendell McKines, 18.8 ppg
Leading rebounder Senior forward Wendell McKines, 10.8 rpg
Best win At New Mexico, 62-53
Worst loss At UTEP, 73-69
What they do well Free throws. The Aggies have made and attempted the most foul shots of any team in the country.
What needs work Three-pointers. New Mexico State has a 32.7 three-point percentage and have made just 161 threes. In contrast, IU has made 211.

Projected starters

Indiana
G Jordan Hulls 11.5 points per game
G Victor Oladipo 10.9
F Will Sheehey 8.4
F Christian Watford 12.0
F Cody Zeller 15.5

New Mexico State
G Daniel Mullings 9.3
G Hernst Laroche 12.0
F Wendell McKines 18.8
F Tyrone Watson 7.0
F Hamidu Rahman 10.0

My take

New Mexico State really has nothing to lose. It's the classic NCAA Tournament storyline of big-time program plays favorite to little known school playing with a chip on its shoulder.

Except this time, it's not just the Blue Chip tag that's defining the Hoosiers. This IU team, which does not include a player with NCAA Tournament experience, has that "nothing to lose" mentality, which I think can take it far.

IU's main concern will be Aggie senior forward Wendell McKines, who averages a double-double. McKines is representative of a New Mexico State team that is big, physical and would much rather pound it inside than shoot the three. Evidence? They have attempted more free throws than any other team in the country.

However, I still think IU's superior talent and depth leads them to victory in IU Coach Tom Crean's first NCAA Tournament game with the Hoosiers. If IU avoids getting into early foul trouble against a team that likes drawing them and takes advantage of the fast pace, the Hoosiers will edge out a win.

Make no mistake, this game will not be a blowout. In the Big Dance, there's no such thing as an easy opponent if you're a 4-seed. The Hoosiers will have to grind out a victory against the Aggies, who have no intention of going back to New Mexico early.

But I think the Hoosiers are well-equipped to win a game that requires 40 minutes of focus because of the demanding Big Ten schedule that they trudged through in the regular season.