Cody Zeller's defense key to victory in Portland

Cody Zeller

PORTLAND, Ore. – Cody Zeller has been heralded for a variety of things throughout his young IU career. The freshman forward was IU’s leading scorer, leading rebounder and shot blocker in the regular season.

But steals? The 6-foot-11 Zeller showed off another weapon in his arsenal with six steals.

Zeller’s defensive prowess stifled New Mexico State (26-10) in IU’s (26-8) 79-66 in the Hoosiers first game of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday night at the Rose Garden.

“I felt like I was quicker than their big guys,” Zeller said. “They were probably a little bit stronger but I just tried to use my quickness when they were passing it inside to try and get some deflections and just be active.”

Zeller’s six steals were the most of any IU player in NCAA Tournament history.

The Co-Big Ten Freshman of the Year was pitted against a New Mexico State squad that made its living getting opposing post players in foul trouble. The Aggies came into the game averaging 20 made free throws per game, which was third in the country.

Zeller said the physicality of Big Ten foes allowed him to be the enforcer on the defensive end.

“They were definitely big guys but I’ve seen quite a few big guys in the Big Ten this year,” Zeller said. “That definitely prepared me.”

In addition to preventing the Aggie bigs from getting to the free-throw line, Zeller also kept them off the offensive glass. Zeller’s team-leading six boards fueled a rebounding attack that only allowed six offensive boards.

“That was huge for us,” Zeller said. “They get a lot of offensive rebounds, they get to the free-throw line quite a bit. Those were two of the biggest keys. What prepared us going in was playing good rebounding teams in the Big Ten like Michigan State.”

Like he did in the Big Ten regular season opener against Michigan State when he scored a career-low four points, Zeller struggled to get going offensively. Zeller went through a stretch of 24 minutes and 19 seconds without a basket.

Zeller said the Aggies’ emphasis was directed to making sure he didn’t get touches in the post.

“I was passing it earlier in the game because they were focusing on me so I was finding the cutter,” Zeller said. “I did try to be aggressive there at the end of the game and get to the free-throw line or get my shot.”

With IU looking to hold its lead with just over five minutes remaining, Zeller did exactly that. Zeller worked in from the perimeter and found a way to score on back-to-back IU possessions to cement the double-digit lead it wouldn’t surrender.

“He's a good player,” New Mexico State forward Wendell McKines said of Zeller. “He's a great player, actually. He kind of struggled in the beginning of the game and looked like his teammates just believed in him, kept feeding him and he responded.”

On a night where Zeller did not have to lead IU in scoring, he found a way to contribute on the defensive end. IU Coach Tom Crean said Zeller’s defensive effort provided IU with an offensive spark plug.

“Well, he had 14 deflections, which is even bigger than the steals,” Crean said. “Those deflections are like dunks for us.”

It might not have been an offensive night to remember for the freshman, but Zeller’s defense helped IU to its first NCAA Tournament win in the Crean era.

In order for IU to continue its run in the NCAA Tournament, Zeller’s defensive performance was one Crean said IU will need to have the rest of the way.

“When we’re getting that defensive energy, this team really thrives on that,” Crean said. “That’s what we’ve got to continue to do on Saturday.”