sports women's basketball

A history lesson for Hoosiers in Big Ten Tournament

The IU women’s basketball team enters the Big Ten Tournament, which will take place at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, with a chance for its second conference win in three games after losing 14 straight to start the conference schedule. The No. 12 Hoosiers will face off against the No. 5 Michigan State Spartans tonight 25 minutes after the end of the 6 p.m. Minnesota vs. Wisconsin game.  Here’s a look at the Hoosiers and their history in the Big Ten Tournament.

Team
•    The team has a 14-15 all-time record in the tournament’s 17-year existence.
•    IU has won one tournament title, which was in 2002, when the Hoosiers took down Penn State in the final game.
•    Since losing in the semi-finals to Purdue during the 2005-06 season, Indiana has failed to make it past the second round of the tournament.

IU Coach Felisha Legette-Jack
•    This year’s tournament will mark Legette-Jack’s sixth Big Ten Tournament at the helm of the Hoosiers.
•    Legette-Jack’s teams have a 3-5 record in the conference tournament.
•    Since being named head coach, Legette-Jack has failed to take the Hoosiers past the second round of the Big Ten Tournament, and her team has fallen in the first round the past two years.

Playing Against Michigan State
•    The Hoosiers have faced the Spartans twice during the regular season, falling 63-49 at home and 67-47 in East Lansing, Mich.
•    IU has played Michigan State just once in the Big Ten Tournament. The lone matchup came in 1999, and the Hoosiers lost 88-69.
•    Indiana is 1-1 in neutral site games this season. Both games were in the Caribbean Classic, where the Hoosiers first lost to Pittsburgh 77-72 in overtime before beating Colorado State 47-39.