TV chef Ripert talks food industry, relationship with Bourdain

Chef

Anthony Bourdain and Eric Ripert each have a personal claim to fame.

Bourdain travels the world, sampling exotic, foreign fare on his Travel Channel show, “No Reservations,” and he wrote the bestseller “Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly.” 

Ripert keeps the New York food scene on its toes with his restaurant, Le Bernardin, and PBS show, “Avec Eric.”

Tonight, these two top chefs will travel to Indiana and take the stage at the IU Auditorium. The “Good vs. Evil: An Evening with Anthony Bourdain and Eric Ripert” performance is stopping at the Auditorium as part of the chefs’ national tour.

The show isn’t a cooking challenge or contest but, rather, a chance for these two chefs to talk about their professional and personal experiences in the food industry.

The Indiana Daily Student had a chance to talk with Ripert about his history with Bourdain, his personal connection with food and, of course, tonight’s “Good vs. Evil” event.

IDS What do the two of you usually speak about when you’re on stage?
Ripert We reach many topics. It’s obviously all revolving around the food world. It’s a bit of comedy. I’m roasting him. He’s roasting me, as well. It’s basically a good combination between entertainment and personal.

IDS How long have you and Chef Bourdain known each other?
Ripert Since he wrote “Kitchen Confidential.” I read the book, and he was very nice to me in the book, both about the restaurant and myself. And I invited him for lunch, and the friendship started there, and we kept it going on.

IDS Is he really the man we know from “No Reservations”?
Ripert He is very true to himself, very authentic. Whatever you see is whatever you get.

IDS What has it been like for you to cultivate prestige and a reputable name in the New York restaurant scene with Le Bernardin?
Ripert Well, every day, I go to work, and I don’t think about prestige and award. I am also with my team. We live in a rich city in the sense that there are so many different cultures and ethnicities living here, and we have so many different restaurants and ingredients that we are very inspired. We basically reinvent ourselves all the time. And when you do that, and you’re passionate and have a good time, you get rewarded. But we never think about how long are we going to last, are we relevant or not. We just go along with our daily passions.

IDS Is the trend of sustainability important to you? Is it something you try to embody in the food you make?
Ripert Well, I think it’s the future, or we’re all going to die because factory farms are terrible not only for the animals, but for the planet and for us, as well. So, I mean, we have to support the people who cultivate the land. We have to support the people who are growers, beekeepers and fishermen.

IDS
Do you have a favorite food region in the U.S.?
Ripert California is bliss. They have amazing vegetables and fruits. It’s just unfair. The climate is very exceptional there.

IDS Can you speak to the trend of more people coming back to the kitchen and cooking?
Ripert It’s a good thing. People who are cooking at home have a love and appreciation for good products. Therefore, they potentially support sustainability. And at the same time, I see the benefit if you’re cooking at home and you have all the family together. You don’t have Daddy watching the game and having wings, Momma doing something in the kitchen and eating pizza and the kids with burgers in their bedrooms. If you cook something that has been homemade with good products, you will have the tendency to sit down at the table and create that interaction that is vital to create a good environment with the family.

IDS Do you cook with your family a lot?
Ripert On Sunday! We have a tendency to do many different dishes all the time. In the summer is when I repeat the most. I grill a lot.