Students ‘speak’ for autism

Students and community members gathered at BuffaLouie’s Thursday night to celebrate the first fundraising event of the IU-Bloomington chapter of Autism Speaks U.

Autism Speaks U is the university chapter of Autism Speaks, a national autism science and advocacy organization that focuses on funding research and spreading awareness about autism.

Autistic individuals frequently engage in repetitive behaviors and have difficulties with communication and social interaction.

Sophomore Travis Moore started the IU branch of Autism Speaks U late last semester and currently serves as the organization’s president.

“I noticed that IU didn’t have any type of organization for autism,” Moore said.

As fundraiser attendees ate at BuffaLouie’s, they were treated to the musical sounds of Straight No Chaser and other local Bloomington artists.

“We are going to do other fundraisers, such as bake sales, and we are going to participate in an autism walk in Indianapolis at the end of April,” Fundraising Chair Cortney Elliott said.

At the end of the semester, Autism Speaks U will donate all of the money raised to the national Autism Speaks organization. The money will then be put toward autism research and awareness.

A future project that members said they are most excited about is their partnership with the Monroe County School District, which will allow them to go to local schools and work with autistic children.

“It’s really about being a friend to the kids in class and helping the instructors with everyday tasks,” Moore said.

Members of Autism Speaks U joined the organization for different reasons. Some have a personal tie to autism or have previous experience working with those who have disabilities.

Sophomore Emily Turpin worked with Best Buddies, an organization that serves people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, in high school. She said she decided to become a secondary special education major when she came to IU.

“I saw the passion of special education teachers in high school and decided that I wanted to do what they do,” Turpin said.

Turpin is now the recruitment chair of Autism Speaks U. She and fellow members said they hope to change autism perceptions on campus.

“People don’t realize that autistic kids are very bright,” Turpin said.

Elliott said she agrees.

“So many people don’t understand it,” she said. “They are sweet kids, and they don’t look at the negative things in life.”