Broadway star Peters entertains audience at Auditorium show

As Bernadette Peters glided onto stage Saturday, the crowd roared with applause, and stage lights sparkled in audience members’ eyes. Conductor Marvin Laird, who has been working with Peters for nearly 30 years, accompanied her onstage.

Waving and blowing kisses to the cheering crowd, Peters grabbed a microphone.

“Good evening, everyone,” Peters said. “My, am I glad to be here in Bloomington.”

The crowd cheered once more and Peters offered some light-hearted humor.

“The real estate market has been a little flat, don’t you agree?” Peters said. “I know that because I’ve been trying to sell my house in Florida for a long time. And I would never try to sell it from the stage. No, never. Goodness, it is very cold here in Indiana, isn’t it? Well, did I mention that my house was in Florida?”

Peter’s joking left the crowd laughing, and she began singing tunes from  both Broadway shows and a personal song.

She lay across the piano and sang “Fever,” a song about people who caught love fever, such as  Romeo and Juliet.

“I absolutely love Bernadette Peters,” freshman Samantha Mason said. “I’ve seen her videos on YouTube before, and each time she sings a song, she changes it. I’ve seen the songs she sang tonight on YouTube, but they were different as she sang them in real life. She makes everything fresh and new, which is why I love her.”

Mason and her friend, freshman Nathan Robbins, both musical theater majors, said they came to the show with high expectations.

“She is honestly so amazing,” Robbins said. “As Samantha said, we’ve watched her videos on YouTube, but to actually experience her performing in real life is incredible.”

The show appealed to a broad audience, not just musical theater students.

“I have really enjoyed this performance,” Bloomington visitor Marissa Anderson said. “Bernadette Peters did an amazing job.”

Later in the performance, Peters sank into a series of slower songs, complemented by soft stage light.

“Thank you so much for coming tonight,” Peters said, as she explained that all proceeds from merchandise sales benefit various animal shelters.

“Oh, and by the way, my house is on the beach where the turtles come up and lay their eggs,” Peters said as a final joke.

The last song she performed she wrote for her dog, Kramer. It was about sleeping in peace.

“I don’t think we could’ve seen a better performance,” Robbins said.

Peters’ set list

“Let Me Entertain You” from “Gypsy: A Musical Fable”

“No One Is Alone” from “Into the Woods”

“There Is Nothing Like a Dame” from “South Pacific”

“Fever,” made famous by Peggy Lee

“Mr. Snow” from “Carousel”

“Some Enchanted Evening” from “South Pacific”

“In Buddy’s Eyes” from “Follies”

“Losing My Mind” from “Follies”

“Some People” From “Gypsy: A Musical Fable”

“Shenandoah,” a traditional American folk song

“Not a Day Goes By” from “Merrily We Roll Along”

“Goodbye For Now” from “Reds”

“When You Wish Upon a Star/A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes” from “Cinderella”

“You Could Drive a Person Crazy” from “Company”

“With So Little.../Children will Listen” from “Anyone Can Listen” and “Into the Woods,” respectively

“Being Alive” from “Company”

Encore: “Kramer’s Song” by Bernadette Peters