Amended creation teaching bill passes Ind. Senate

Indiana public schools might be allowed to teach creationism and other origin of life theories if the Indiana House of Representatives approves a bill that passed in the Senate on Tuesday.

Senate Bill 89 would give school boards the option to teach “various theories of the origin of life” if the school corporation’s board chooses to opt in.

The bill, which passed the Senate by a 28-22 vote and will now head to the House, was authored by Sen. Dennis Kruse, R-Auburn. He said he developed the bill so that beliefs held by many people can be taught in schools.

“Most Indiana Hoosiers and most American citizens still believe in creation by God,” Kruse said.

Kruse’s original bill provided for the teaching of “creation science” alongside other theories, including evolution.

The bill was changed, however, to include origin of life theories from additional religious traditions by an amendment proposed by Senate Minority Leader Vi Simpson, D-Bloomington.

“It’s no longer creation science,” Simpson said. “That’s an oxymoron.”

The amended bill will allow school boards to teach the theories — including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Scientology — in classes other than science, such as world literature or social studies.

Kruse said the amendment will make the bill stronger if a lawsuit is brought against it because school districts would be required to teach from a variety of religions.

“It’s still up to the school board to make the determination as to if they want to include origin of life teaching,” Simpson said. “If a school board chooses to walk down this path, they’ll have to include other religions, not just Christianity.”

Jim Muehling, president of the Monroe County School Corporation board, said he expects the law to be struck down by courts if it passes and is signed by Gov. Mitch Daniels. He said similar laws have been overturned by state courts before.

“There’s a clear division of church and state,” he said.

If it does pass, though, the MCCSC board will be faced with a decision: It will have the option to approve a curriculum to teach origin of life theories other than evolution.

“I hesitate to speculate as to what our decision would be as a board because I’m just one member,” Muehling said.

Although Simpson offered the amendment, which made drastic changes to the wording of the bill, she did not vote in favor of the complete, amended piece of legislation.

“I was very disappointed,” Kruse said. “She didn’t even vote for her own amendment.”

Kruse said Simpson should have voted for the amended bill because of the sweeping changes her amendment made.

But despite the changes she was able to make, Simpson remained dissatisfied when a vote was called on the floor.

“It was not significant enough to justify voting for it,” Simpson said.