Women compile 27 wins at home

Tennis

The women’s tennis team spent the three-day weekend at the IU tennis complex playing host to the IU adidas Winter Invitational. The Hoosiers squared off against Louisville, Marquette and Missouri during the invitational. This event was an chance for the team to shake off the rust for the first time this semester after long winter break.

The Hoosiers collected 12 wins Saturday. The winners of the singles draws from day one included freshman Carolyn Chupa, who is the No. 79 player in the nation, junior Leslie Hureau, senior Geniya Vertesheva, freshman Katie Klyczek, freshman Alecia Kauss, freshman Ariel Beckerman and sophomore Kayla Fujimoto.

In doubles action, the Vertesheva and Fujimoto pair went 2-0 Saturday. The other victorious double pairings were Chupa and Klyczek, Hureau and Kauss and sophomore Sophie Garre and freshman Shannon Murdy.

Two Hoosier pairs picked up doubles titles Sunday. The pairing of Vertesheva and Fujimoto won the Crimson Doubles Draw, going a perfect 3-0.  Garre and Murdy took the title in the Red Doubles Draw after winning the tiebreaker of best winning percentage of all games played.

In the singles draw, the five Hoosiers to pick up wins were Hureau, Chupa, Vertesheva, Murdy and Klyczek.

Day three of the invitational was Martin Luther King Jr. Day and crowned the champions of the singles draws. Klyczek was victorious in her match, winning a marathon tiebreaker 20-18 after splitting the first two sets. Vertesheva won her match in straight sets, going 3-0 for the singles tournament. She did not lose a match in singles or doubles action this weekend.

Garre also won her match. After splitting the first two sets, Garre won her tiebreaker 10-8. Kauss lost two games in her final match of the day, winning in straight sets.

During the three days of action, the Hoosiers went a combined 27-18 in singles and doubles matches, for a winning mark of 60 percent.

“Overall, it was a good weekend for us,” IU Coach Lin Loring said. “Since we had some time off with finals and winter break, we needed to play some matches before we started the dual schedule, so this weekend was exactly what we needed.  

“As a team, we are pretty sore right now, but we should be fine for next weekend when we open our dual match season,” Loring said.

The Hoosiers will kick-off the team schedule Sunday, Jan. 22, with a double-header. The team will play against the No. 3 team in the nation, the Duke Blue Devils, at noon, and then will square off against UNC Greensboro at 5:30 p.m. in Durham, N.C.