Junior Ruofan Xia remembered as brilliant, humble friend

Roufan Xia

Junior Ruofan Xia was on a journey of self-discovery. Friends said he wanted to understand every part of himself and succeed both emotionally and financially, like so many students at IU.

That journey ended when Xia, 21, of Carmel, Ind., was found dead Wednesday at the Travelodge at 2615 E. Third St.

“Ruofan was extremely introspective and always polite,” said Alisha Lineswala, who attended the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics and Humanities with him. “He did not necessarily love to talk to people or was always responsive, but he was always a good listener and most people felt they could confide in him without being judged.”

Lineswala and other Academy friends Sarah Masick and Susan Savariar described him as being as talented as he was humble.

Masick said that, although Xia attended higher level classes than her at the Academy, he never talked down to her or anyone else and lacked the pretentious nature found in many advanced students.

“I think most people would recognize him as being one of the most intuitively smart people they ever met,” Lineswala said.

Xia participated in several academic competitions, Lineswala said, including Academic Superbowl and Quizbowl.

“He was excellent at all the sciences but especially at chemistry and math,” Lineswala said, adding that he had decided to attend medical school by the time they graduated from the Academy.

Xia had several interests outside of school, as well. Masick said he enjoyed figuring out the mechanics of magic tricks, and his sleight of hand impressed her and many of his friends.

“Along with this, he also loved to play ping-pong and some video games with his friends,” Lineswala said.

Masick and Xia became close during their junior year at the Academy. They had class together and began eating lunch together with a mutual friend, Kayla.

“We spent a lot of time together on the phone,” Masick said.

Savariar and Xia became friends during their senior year, eventually going to prom in the same group.

Yet Savariar, an IU junior, said though she sometimes saw Xia around campus, they lost touch. She said he had become withdrawn. Lineswala, a senior at the University of Pittsburgh, did not stay in contact with Xia, either.

Masick also said she tried to keep in touch with Xia. Masick is a junior at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, so she tried to stay in contact via Facebook. It worked for a while, but she said the relationship faded after their freshman year.

Masick and Xia’s mutual friend Kayla still talked to Xia by the time they were juniors.

“She said everything seemed fine,” Masick said, beginning to choke up.

Xia’s visitation was from 3 to 5 p.m. Saturday at Flanner and Buchanan Funeral Services in Carmel, Ind.

Kathy Fang of Carmel, who attended Carmel High School with Xia before he was accepted into the Academy, wrote a memorial on the center’s website saying she and her friends had bet he would be the one to cure cancer.

“Though we lost touch after he transferred to the Indiana Academy, we still talked about him and thought of him,” Fang’s post read. “Just last week, a couple friends and I talked about getting back in touch with him. I regret that we never got the chance to do so. He was loved and admired by his friends at CHS and will be sorely missed.”

Masick, like Fang, said she admired Xia and used to love to listen to Xia’s ideas on  various topics.

Lineswala remembered Xia’s reflections, as well, including his thoughts on death.

“He once told me that death is a stopping point,” Lineswala said. “Your body stops and is not aware of anything, including senses, thoughts, emotions and consciousness. I did not press him further about the matter, but I think he meant that once death happens, it is final and sure, and nothing else matters besides those two facts.”