Collins resident found dead off campus

Junior Ruofan Xia, 21, died Wednesday off campus, said Mark Land, associate vice president of University communications.

Specific details have not yet been released, but Dean of Students Harold “Pete” Goldsmith said Counseling and Psychological Services staff and Residential Programs and Services staff spoke to residents who lived with Xia on Collins Living Learning Center Greene 3 Wednesday night.

“Anytime something like this happens at the University, this is devastating, especially for the friends and family of the student,” Land said. “We’re making services available.”

IU Student Association Chief of Communications Nikki Suseck expressed sympathy for the family and friends of Xia on behalf of IUSA.

"IUSA is deeply saddened to hear the news about the death of our fellow Hoosier Ruofan Xia," Suseck said in a statement. "Our condolences are with his family and friends. We hope students seeking counseling or physiological help will contact CAPS, who will be available during walk-in hours 8am-4:30pm Monday to Friday. IUSA shares our thoughts and prayers  with the entire student body and his family."

The normal CAPS charges for students are suspended for Collins students dealing with the student death.

The crisis line is available after hours at 812-855-5711.

For a full version of this story, pick up Friday's edition of the Indiana Daily Student.

Correction: An earlier version of this story identified Xia as a graduate student. The IDS regrets this error.