Shame on the Hall

“This Old Cub” finally got what he had always wanted, an induction into Cooperstown, Mass. In his sixteenth time on the ballot, Ron Santo became a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Most Cubs fans can’t help but lament the fact it was a year too late. The committee robbed one of the greatest third-basemen of all-time the opportunity to see himself inducted. Santo died Dec. 3, 2010 without seeing one of his greatest dreams fulfilled.
Santo spent 14 of his 15 seasons in Major League Baseball with the Cubs. He then spent another 21 years as a broadcaster on Cubs radio. For regular listeners, it was more plausible that Santo would die of excitement in the booth than from his long-time
diabetes battle.

During his career, he played 2,243 games, hit .277 and had 342 home runs and 1,331 RBIs. These stats made him well-deserving of a trip to Cooperstown before this year.
Santo was never shy about making it known what being a Hall of Famer meant to him. He wanted to be there alongside other Cubs greats like Ernie Banks, Billy Williams and Fergie Jenkins. He felt he deserved it, and so did Cubs fans.

When his jersey, the number 10, was retired at Wrigley Field in 2003, Santo famously said, “This is my Hall of Fame.” It was an emotional moment for the Cubs’ great and the fans. Even though that’s what Santo said, everyone always knew it wasn’t complete.

Eight years later, Santo’s wish came true, but it doesn’t quite feel the same. His speech would have given chills to baseball fans from both inside and outside Chicago. It would have likely shown what it meant to be a true athlete in an era that now associates disgrace with many of the current stars.

Looking at the whole picture, it is not surprising that Santo didn’t get what he wanted or what he deserved. He gave everything to his team for 14 seasons. He gave his life to a franchise for 21 years in a broadcast booth but never got the ultimate prize.

His time with the Cubs was filled with curses, jinxes and a lot more frustrations than happy moments. He, like most living Cubs fans, never saw the Cubs win a World Series. He spent many years watching a team with potential fall short again and again.

He saw changes that made Wrigley Field go from its original feel to one that has advertising on the Ivy and popular music being played from the speakers. The Cubs franchise today is not the one it was when Santo entered it, but that never changed his passion for the team, his team.

Shame on the Hall of Fame committee for waiting so long to let Santo into Cooperstown. He embodies what people look for in a role model. He always played his hardest and never gave up.

Although no one can be certain, I’m sure Ronnie will have a smile on his face when his family accepts the nomination on his behalf. If only we had the privilege to see it in person.
­

— cursini@indiana.edu