Women’s golf sits in 10th after two rounds at Onion Creek in Austin

Day One
The IU women’s golf team is in 10th place after 36 holes in the two-day Challenge at Onion Creek in Austin, Texas.

The Action
Texas Tech finished the day in first, posting a 579 two-round total. The Hoosiers tallied 605 on the day, putting them only one stroke behind the College of Charleston.

Freshman Elizabeth Tong and junior Rosie Davies lead the team tied for 34th. Tong carded 73-79 in the first two rounds, tallying two birdies in the first and finishing one-under-par 34 on the back nine in the second.

Junior Pamela Burneski sits tied for 39th, while co-captains senior Kristtini Cain and junior Kate Coons will go into the final round tied for 51st.

Key Play

Davies dropped eight strokes from her first round 10-over-par 80, scoring a 72 in the second round. She saved par on the back nine of her second round with a birdie on No. 14, despite a bogey on the final hole.

Quote of Note
“We had some really good holes, but when we made mistakes, they were big ones,” IU Coach Clint Wallman said. “That is something we have to be better at. The field is tightly bunched, and we need to find a way to eliminate those big numbers. Everyone played well at some point today. We just weren’t able to do it all at the same time.”

Notable Number

Five — the team made up five strokes between rounds, recording a 305 in the first and 300 in the second.

Up Next
The Hoosiers last event of the fall season will finish today with an 18-hole shotgun.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.