Volunteers to re-poster to raise awareness of Lauren Spierer

Volunteers have been invited to attend an event to put up posters to raise awareness about the disappearance of IU student Lauren Spierer, who was last seen at the corner of 11th and College avenues in the early morning hours of June 3, 2011.

P.U.M.P. 4 Lauren, which stands for “putting up more posters for Lauren,” will be from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. People interested in participating should meet in front of Smallwood Plaza, 455 N. College Ave. in Bloomington.

The event’s organizers were inspired to put up more posters after reading an anonymous letter that was sent to Lauren’s parents asking that the Spierers stop putting up posters on public property.

According to a post by Charlene Spierer on the @NewsOnLaurenS Twitter feed, the letter said, “We are sorry about your missing daughter. But don’t you think it’s time to do the right thing by Bloomington and stop littering our town with your posters?”

Charlene Spierer, Lauren’s mother, wrote a letter in response.

“I hope you never have to hang a poster for your missing child. But believe me, I will be alongside you if you should ever find yourself in my place,” she wrote.

Posters and tape will be available for volunteers at the event. A table outside Smallwood will be staffed with people who will instruct volunteers where to hang the posters.

— Zach Ammerman